Internet Dating Tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Aug 24, 2010.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So I've officially moved on from my last potential relationship and I'm ready to replace my first real love with another. :D

I've started the ball rolling on "seek lovers through friends of friends" today and I would also like to explore Internet.

I've read up on it and asked other places for advice, but I would like to know what MR has to say.

Should I avoid it all together? Embrace it? Be super cautious? Etc. :)

2. TSE macrumors 68030

Personally not my cup of tea but it's ultimately your choice.

What I would say is if you are going to do it, be super cautious and don't get super involved right away...

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Use some better known sites such as eHarmony, OKCupid, or PoF.

4. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I know one person who tried internet dating. He is now happily married to someone he met on the net. I'm not sure what site he used though.

5. 184550 Guest

My favorite thing about OKCupid was the questions.

OP: I would just say be super cautious. I'd hate to read that a MR member wired ten of thousands of dollars to a 'girlfriend' in Nigeria. :D

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Here are my tips:

1. If she's over 30, her profile photos are from at least 2 years ago. If she's over 40, her profile photos are from at least 5 years ago.

2. Add 5 lbs to her stated weight, even if she's thin.

3. If you don't use a legitimate dating service website, the chances of hooking up with a 17 year old male WoW player who thinks this is hilarious is significantly higher than it has to be. Stick with the sites you've heard of.

Actually, I don't know much about internet dating. The only married couples I know of who met online all met on MacRumors. ;)

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Subtract? I would have thought add? and more than 5. No internet dating experience though.

8. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Personally, I think internet dating is flat out creepy. I like the old fashion way, find a girl you like from your school, church or work. If I where you, I would be extra cautions, it could be a man =O

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Remember that women usually only reveal a third of men they've slept with, and they have been known to take the "Internet Diet" and tell you they weigh 10 or 15 pounds less than they really do.

Buy her an internet vodka cranberry, and don't ask for nudies until at least your third internet date.

10. Hraggleblarg macrumors member

OkCupid is a pretty neat site. I recommend you visiting Loving from a Distance. just so you know what you're getting into. Other than that, have fun, and don't lie.

11. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

No longer in school, don't go to church, and work has two females. Both married. :p

I am going to try okCupid. :D

12. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Well, I wish you luck then....

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Remember, that "18 year-old" prospective date might just be a cop.

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's why you should only look for dates on sites that specialize in self-loathing anorexic girls.

15. Ttownbeast, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

here's a good dating site...

forums.macrumors.com

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, I know of 5 or 6 MR couples (2 of them married). :eek:

I wonder if jessica. is single. I'm going to send her a PM.

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Seems people are really down on the internet dating. I've met a few people online and been out for dates/drinks. I've had nothing but good experiences. As long as you are sensible you will be fine. Personally, I don't see why more people don't give it a go, why limit yourself? It's not like you can't meet someone at school/work/whatever as well. (On a side note - work is a bad idea, trust me).

OkCupid is pretty good. I met a (now-ex) girlfriend through there and it worked well for a while and we were together for nearly a year. I'd say the one problem with OkCupid is because it's free to use, a lot of people sign up, do the quizzes and then get bored and leave. It's also more open to abuse.

There was also an issue with there being about a gazillion guys to every girl, so it's difficult to get your serious message noticed above all of the idiots spamming for sex (again, a symptom of it being free). Plenty of Fish is the worst for this in my experience!

Currently I am using match. The price tag deters the more casual user just hoping to get a one night stand. Over the last few months I've been on a few dates but nothing has come of it yet (going on another this weekend though). However, mid-way though my membership I became involved with someone else, so I didn't use it for a while. Perhaps the worst part of that break up is that I don't qualify for the six months free :)

I think my top tip is - persistence. Don't go around spamming people, but don't expect a reply from many people either. Hardly anyone replies to me, and I ignore a lot of people, but don't let it get you down - it's no real loss.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Good luck!

19. JsR macrumors regular

I've never personally tried it but since I was 17 I've been in a relationship - I'm 22 now.

I do know a few people who have tried it and have always given positive reviews. I've always wanted to try speed-dating in a bar haha, god knows why! Maybe next time I'm single - it did look good on Hitch though :D

Go for someone different. People always focus too much on the looks - don't get your average Joe who is half naked with no aspirations and zero personality. Remember girls can have brains and beauty ;)

Good luck!

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Match is best. eHarmony is the worst.

The last sentence says it all. You're much too cynical and besides you have no experience.:)

Note: This is written from a male perspective. We are what we are and we generally care about looks, so deal.

Normally women don't even state a weight. You have to go by pictures. If all you care about is what's on the inside, then pics don't matter. But most people who state that only the inside matters are lying to themselves (attraction matters), or they're so unattractive they don't want you to focus on it. So use the pics as a guide, but assume they might not be actually representative. Most people put their best pics up. It's up to you to determine how truthful you think they are. You obtain some measure of truth, by talking to the person, finding out what they like to do, etc. Just assume they probably won't be as pretty as you thought, but the other facets of what makes them who they are should make up for that. If the person you eventually meet is nowhere near what they portrayed, end the first date and be on your way. It happens. If you really feel uncertain about someone before meeting, ask to web cam. Web cams don't lie.

Be accurate in your own profile. If you lie, then the opposite happens from what I described above.

Don't post pics of your car, house, boat, etc., unless you want to attract women that care about the material things. However don't put yourself in a bad light either. I had a friend that posted his red BMW on his profile, because he wanted a much younger woman. I didn't think it would work out, but they've been married for years now and have at least one kid. Generally women just want to know you aren't living with mom and can support yourself.

Anyway, I think online dating is a great way to meet women. You get to skip the bar scene and it makes for a way to meet people who have the same interests, especially the fact that they want to date. Think of it as a way to shop for what you want. It works.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

22. Ttownbeast, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  23. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I was on a few dates which spawned from such sites, but nothing serious. Have to agree with all here who say that extra caution is useful.

24. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've wondered that as well...ha ha. :cool: