Internet disconnects on putting display to sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alphabetize, May 23, 2014.

1. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I'm having an annoying issue where the Internet disconnects when I put the display to sleep. I'm not putting the computer to sleep, just the display. I have Hot Corners set up so I can put the display to sleep quickly and so people don't tamper with my computer if I step away (as it requires a password to unlock). If I am downloading/uploading large files, or chatting with people via IM, my files stop downloading/uploading, and my status goes to Offline just by putting the display to sleep.

Is there a setting I can change to keep the Internet connected even if I put the display to sleep?

Thanks!

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

What model Mac do you have? What version of OS X are you running?:)

3. Alphabetize thread starter macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

MacBook Air, 13-inch, Mid-2013, OS 10.9.3

4. tampasteve macrumors 6502

If I were you I would re-post your question, or have your question moved, into the Mav. forum. I know some people (myself included) have experienced wonky issues with 10.9. My Mac Mini would not turn the display back on after being asleep, and also had issues like you experience. On 10.6.8 it was fine, but with the upgrade to 10.9 it started acting odd.

Was this Mac ever on a different version of OS X, and if so did it have the same issue then?

5. jpu macrumors member

jpu

Instead of putting the computer to sleep, set the hot corner to lock the display.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

On your model computer, by default the whole computer sleeps when the display goes to sleep. Open up Energy Saver in System Preferences and check the box labeled "Prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off."

7. int3 macrumors member

int3

Turning off the wireless isn't normal?
    I put asleep my mac (rmp 13'' late 2k13) and it sleeps and minutes later I see on router it disconnects. But when I turn it on again [the mac] it connects again. So, what's the deal?
    Is just the display sleeping or is the systems?
    It is different things :p

8. Alphabetize thread starter macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I believe I discovered the problem. It appears that the system will always disconnect from the Internet when not connected to the Power Adapter. However, when connected to a power source, the issue is gone.

9. JustinePaula macrumors regular

Again some idiot at Apple thinking they know better... Let me make my own decisions, I am old enough to do this, I promise Sir Mr Jony Ive!!

Why is it so hard to let the user check or uncheck a few boxes, I might have a reason to leave the laptop downloading without the screen off mains....I would to conserve power switch off the screen, this does not mean switch off the damn wifi card....

In the end the users of the software/hardware are simply too thick to complain en-mass...