Internet dongle only works with windows - can parallels help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3alaawi, Sep 19, 2011.

1. 3alaawi macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got a mobile broadband dongle (Alcatel X220S) and it won't work on OS X Lion. Searched for drivers and contacted my provider (Virgin) with no luck. I've got parallels 7 installed and it does work when I start up windows (7) in parallels and boot camp too but it only for windows.

Is there any way I could get lion to use the internet connection off parallels?

Cheers :D

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I haven't really used Parallels very much since version 5, so this may not work at all.

There used to be several different modes that you could set on the Virtual NIC that is created for the virtual machine. If these are still available, you could try switching between them to see if any of them allows the Mac to share the net connection created for the wireless card in Windows. There should be a setting on the Windows side to "Share this Connection".

I would be really surprised if this worked, but at least it's something to try...

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Make sure the virtual NIC is set to bridged mode (not NAT) and enable Internet connection sharing in the Windows VM. It's worth a try.

Good luck.

4. 3alaawi thread starter macrumors newbie

This was ages ago! Thanks for the replies. I ended up returning it to the provider and getting another. Do you guys mind letting know how I can receive notification that someone has replied to me, because I didn't get any mail or anything or your replies:confused:

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The forum defaults to "No notifications". You can change this default in your User CP, but that only applies to posts made AFTER the change. To change your notification setting for this thread, while posting a reply, there's an option at the bottom for this purpose.