Internet down on one machine, fine on the other

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ClassicBean, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Hoping to get some help. I'm running two machines - a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. Both are connected to the internet via my Airport Extreme Base Station.

Every now and then (several times a day) my internet goes down on my MacBook Pro but not my MacBook Air. This lasts for a good minute or so and Network Diagnostics shows that the Airport is working fine. "Internet" and "Server" are reported as Failed. I've attached a screen shot.

Msn continues to function as normal. And my MacBook Air continues to work as normal.

I've restarted my computer and repaired permissions but this continues to happen. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Try restarting the Airport Extreme... how old is the Airport?

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you know what exact MBP you have and what Mac OS X version is running on it?
    Have you taken a look at System Profiler > Network >> AirPort and seen, if the AirPort card is reported differently than it should be?
    What kind of W-LAN setup do you have anyway? 802.11g or n, WPA or WEP or WPA2?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The internet is usually up all day, every day. Do you mean "your Macbook Pro cannot connect to the internet" ? What does the Network System Preferences say for things like an IP when it cannot connect to the internet?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Delete the plists found in Mac HD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration and reboot

6. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

• The Airport is a few years old. It's a dual band extreme (5Ghz and 2Ghz). I will try to restart it shortly. But again, the MBP isn't losing its connection to the Airport. I have full bars and Network Diagnostics says that the Airport is connected when the Internet goes down.

• I am running the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.6) with all updates installed. I'm running 802.11n. WPA2 I believe).

• I will try deleting the System Config and reboot.

Thanks guys. Gonna try and reset the Airport Extreme and delete that file. Hopefully it solves things.