Internet Down--Time Warner says call Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicolle19, Jan 30, 2008.

1. nicolle19 macrumors member

My internet and mac have been running slow for the past two days or so. It is mostly the internet. To cover all my steps I thought I would do some maint. on the mac too. I download Cocktail and had it repair disk permissions and even clear my internet cache. The internet was really slow after this. I thought maybe it was my wireless router so I connected directly to my modem and it still did notwork properly. I contacted Time warner and they ran some test and seemed like everything was good on there end. They ran a ping test 10 which returned 7 of the 10. It seems that some websites will come up and others will not unless I type there ip address like 192.68 ext. They told me that I need to call Apple to resolve this issue. Does anyone know what would make this happen and how to fix it?
    17 inch iMac
    2.0 core 2 duo
    1 gig ram
    Upgraded to Leopard about or month or so ago

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Which browser? Have you tried another browser?

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

7 out of 10 is OK with them?

Tell them you'll be paying 70% of your next bill...

4. nicolle19 thread starter macrumors member

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If websites are only loading if you type their IP address, it sounds like a DNS issue. Try switching to OpenDNS and see if that helps

And 30% packet loss is acceptable to them? As the other poster said, try paying only 70% of your bill and see if they like that :D

6. nicolle19 thread starter macrumors member

I am not to familar with the technical issues....
    What is the ping test and what does it actually do...what does losing 30% do to the performance....also how do you switch to open DNS......

7. jeffmc macrumors 6502

a ping is like an echo. if you ping www.google.com, your computer sends a little data to google, and google replies to your ping.

so if you are only receiving 70% of your pings back, it means your not communicating with anything consistently, which obviously isn't good

DNS doesn't have much to do with an issue such as this but heres a step by step tutorial on how to change you DNS servers.

out of curiousity, why are you changing them?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW580i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Instructions should be on their website.
    Ping is a protocol used to test a connection. Their test means that only 70% of packets are reaching you. Usually, anything less than 100% is unacceptable.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

This is a great idea .....

What you would needed to do was totally document the call.

Date Of Call:_______________
    Time Of Call:_______________
    Trouble Ticket Number: _______________
    Customer Service Rep Name: _____________
    Resolution: CSR identified above stated that 70% performance was acceptable to Time Warner.

In a letter with your 70% payment in a professional manner explain that given the resolution of the trouble recorded above one could assume 70% of payment would also be acceptable.

I was that would happen to me, I love fugging with companies like that. Imagine an airline saying that " 70% of our flights landing safely is acceptable ". :D :D :D

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW580i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Some sites only load when he user the IP. Sounds like DNS is one part of the issue (among other things. DNS has nothing to do with the packet loss though)

11. jeffmc macrumors 6502

ahh yes, it would help if i finished reading posts before trying to help.

do you have other computers on the network? i would try another one either plugged in, or wireless. you can also test different interfaces on a single computer (again, plugged in or wireless) to determine what is causing that packet-loss

i'd call them and have them come out and swap out my modem if i were you.

but it sounds to me like both issues (the packet-loss and DNS) are definitely connected.

12. gelatin macrumors 6502

i had a similar problem, turns out the extension cord for the phoneline was faulty

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He has Time Warner which is cable.....no phone lines involved here.

14. nicolle19 thread starter macrumors member

I got home from work looking to spend some time on the phone with Apple to get this issue resolved. When I got home my wife was on the computer on the internet saying everything was working fine. I tested it myself and it was working great. I even did the ping test again and it was giving me a 100% response. It like Time Warner was to blame and they didnt know what they were doing when I talked to them.