Resolved Internet download speed question?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Aug 12, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

My main machine (2012 mini) regularly attains and holds download speeds of between 27-31 Mbps, my G5 quad only gets me 9-10 Mbps, similar results for my G4 MDD. (all these machines are using wired Ethernet)
    My question here is what is capping my G5, would a different Ethernet card help?

2. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Found the problem, in my case at least it is TFF that is causing the slowdown, (really poor downloads but decent uploads), whereas WebKit gives me the download speeds I expect but poor uploads.(I can live with this)
    Any ideas as to why this is happening?
    WebKit...
    Picture 2.JPG

TenFourFox...
    Picture 3.JPG

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wonder if eyoungren's tweaks would assist here...

4. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Funny to think that when the Q5 Quad was announced, dial-up was still common.

5. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

I've used and kept these tweaks updated since day 1, in fact one of the things I did while troubleshooting this problem was to try a default profile and still no change.
    I'd be curious to see others results using the same speed test on webkit vs TFF.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I experienced similar performance difference as @jbarley regardless of whether I had Bluhell enabled or not. This does point to an underlying issue and not a simple extension or something along those lines.

7. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

That's interesting. Will have to see what TFF is doing on my PPCs

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think the issue may be a Mozilla problem that because T4Fx is a fork of Mozilla, it inherits.

It's something I have noticed from time to time but not anything a tweak or preference change is going to fix.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I went on my 06 iMac running Lion and ran the test. Firefox scored the highest with a speed of ~55 Mbps consistently. Safari and Chrome both ere around the ~20 Mbps mark. Running speedtest.net gave consistent results regardless of browser. I am wondering if it is the site that has issues with newer versions of browsers. We have a 115 Mbps connection here so I was a bit surprised to see such low numbers in comparison to speedtest.net.