INternet Download Speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jun 14, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I am in Korea for a visit to my grandparents, and the wireless internet lets my Transmission download rates go up to 5.52M/S!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!Do you know if there is a way to make the download even faster? And will this excessive download speed harm the computer or something? Someone told me (from Best Buy) that extremely high internet download rates will 'wear out' my wireless antenna. I don't believe this, because there is nothing physical going on when you are downloading a torrent, and I think the most that will happen is a heat increase and a heightened battery consumption rate. I just figured that I should just ask the people who actually know what they are talking about, from experience, rather than a unshaven guy in a blue suit who smells like stale fast food. :D

2. joeyscage macrumors newbie

w00t951

how did you check the internet speed?

3. dlo604 macrumors member

It's probably the technology that Korea is using. It doesn't really surprise me and it's also what the Seeders are using as well. I have hit 2M in Canada using Transmission. I've never hit those speeds ever with a PC so needless to say I'm content. 11GB download in 6 hours is awesome IMO

But 5.52M is freaking insane. I'm jealous. :eek:

4. oregon2 macrumors regular

No, there's really nothing to worry about. The built in wireless chip can probably handle 300Mb/s and you're only at 44, so it's not really pushing it.

I have burned out my wifi adapter on my PC, but that is only because it is old, and it only happens after a lot of intensive downloading. And even then, it just stops working but will be fine again the next day.