internet drops off on macbook suddenly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by furcalchick, Dec 30, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my internet connection has been acting really wacky as of late. it would work for about three days and then just out of nowhere, go away. this is the fourth time it's happened in the past two weeks, and it's getting very annoying to try and find the reason why this is happening to my internet.

usually, i'm just browsing the internet, and things go wacky. first, one of my widgets would crash, then my lan would disconnect and the internet will go away. but the thing is that the pc's internet would stick around and nothing will happen with the connection with the other pc's in the house. and also, the mac says i'm still connected to the system even though the internet is down.

the router we have has been having problems, sometimes dropping off signals for no good reason. but i know it's not 100% the mac, because when i do an ethernet connection, the internet is just fine. it's just that it drops off every three days, and i would like to know if it's a problem with the macbook or do we need to look at the router. because restarting and going through the same thing every 3-4 days is annoying, and i think it's probably the router. any suggestions? thanks.

a restart solved it this time, but this is annoying...this just happened about 20 minutes ago.

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Theres a known problem with Netgear routers and Macbooks.
    Is your router Netgear?.

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

no, it's belkin. it's been having unrelated problems before (the router). and it's been fine for a whole year...why stat doing this now? i think it's related to the computer that is hosting the router, it got some new anti-spyware program when this all started. wonder if that's causing the problems.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

What OS are you running? This is a common problem with Leopard

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Shoot, I was expecting a different answer!

7. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

im having this problem and i have a netgear router plz help me!

8. Hustle macrumors 6502a

There isn't a solution. You have to wait for an update via Software Update.

9. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I have this same problem with my DLink router. The internet suddenly stops working but airport says I'm still connected. And when I type in the IP of the router I can't access it so I know that I'm not connected.
    My solution: go to apple menu, put comp to sleep, wake comp up, save up for airport extreme base station.

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Same thing happens with my MBP and Netgear router. I'm on Leopard. Apple please release 10.5.2 quickly to fix this and gazillions other issues.

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'll try that next time.

but the odd thing is that it only started last few weeks...right when my warranty expired. i'm hoping it's just a coincidence.

12. xer0 macrumors newbie

I can vouch for this problem as I have a macbook with 10.5.1 and a netgear router. It didn't happen so much when I first got it at the start of December but started happening more and more frequently within in the last week.

13. havenly007 macrumors newbie

I'm also having the same problem....please post the solution if you find one.

BTW: I have a netgear router, safari 4 and 10.5.7...so updating is not a solution. I have been reading posts all over the place trying to fix this problem (and many failed attempts too: Repair permissions, IPv6 turned off PRAM, and soo many more) and it seems that the best answer that keeps coming up is to get a new router. I agree with a previous post that saving up for an Airport Extreme is the best option.