Internet Error Message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by demonicgman, Sep 3, 2008.

1. demonicgman macrumors newbie

My internet died for about 13hrs, i'm at college so i assumed it was their fault, which i think it was since it just started working for no reason at all. But i got this error message when it would try to connect to an ip address or something. I am connected via Ethernet cable.

Here is the error message:
    147.124.156.163 in use by 00:1b:24:03:14:68
    DHCP Server 147.124.144.1

I want to know if i did something that screwed it up and how i can stop it from happening again, or if i had nothing to do with it.

2. jtyler1383 macrumors newbie

This is an IP conflict. Two computers (yours and another) are trying to use the same IP on the same network. This won't work well for either of you. Simply go into System Preferences > Network. Take note of your IP for ethernet and then try to renew it by changing it to manual, applying and setting it back to dhcp and reapplying. Once that happens, you should be good to go and will likely have a different IP address.

This happens every now and again, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. If it happens frequently, you may want to investigate a little more or contact someone in the network support department.