Internet exp workaround for ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr M5, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

I have one program as part of a website for work that requires IE. It does not work in safari, chrome or firefox. Sombody was telling me you can jailbreak the iPad and somehow make it work, but I was rather lost and I think they where too. Anybody know of any such "work arounds"?

Thanks,

2. jimHdk macrumors regular

You can use the iCabMobile browser. In iCab you can set the Browser ID to Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8.

However, if the site uses something like ActiveX or Silverlight, you will be out of luck.

3. shandyman Suspended

there's atomic browser too if you want another alternative

4. libertysat macrumors regular

5. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like it will not allow it. Although it got much further usually it stops me and says IE is required. But now it just spins while saying loading.

6. Zeos macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Only workaround I have found is to use Jump to remotely access my laptop/desktop that sits at work running IE.

7. psonice macrumors 6502a

Quite often it's because the site is built to ONLY work in IE. That sometimes means it won't even work in recent versions of IE, because microsoft are now supporting regular internet standards rather than microsoft's own standards (they have to do that now their bid to control the internet has failed ;))

The best solution is to tell whoever made the website to fix it, because it's a 'non-standard' site and won't work on 'standard' browsers. Alternatively it might need some kind of special IE plugin, in which case you're stuck with IE forever.

8. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

I work for a fortune 60 company, I really doubt they will listen to me telling them to fix it :D

I do know it's in the pipeline though, for months down the road so prob a year. I was hoping for something now.