Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Unfortunately, there are times that I want to get on MacRumors from a dreaded PC or Boot Camp. However, I have noticed that when using Internet Explorer 11, certain buttons like the Hyperlink and attach buttons do not work. Is this a setting on the end of IE or an incompatibility with MacRumors? I believe that older versions like IE 8 work fine.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Attachments

• speedtest10.PNG
    speedtest10.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 148

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have problems with IE on my Surface Pro 3 sometimes but it's never because of actual websites. It's always the browser itself.

I have had something like what the OP has mentioned happen this weel but on another website. I would go to edit a post and well there was no save button or clicking save would not show it saved and just stay on the page. Reloading would show the edit did save.

Closing the browser and rebooting the computer always fixes it.

IE is junk though I keep using it as my default.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
http://www.google.com

Using IE 11 seems to work for me.

I meant creating a Hyperlink to text.

----------

I have problems with IE on my Surface Pro 3 sometimes but it's never because of actual websites. It's always the browser itself.

I have had something like what the OP has mentioned happen this weel but on another website. I would go to edit a post and well there was no save button or clicking save would not show it saved and just stay on the page. Reloading would show the edit did save.

Closing the browser and rebooting the computer always fixes it.

IE is junk though I keep using it as my default.

I like it due to the RAM usage on Chrome and the slow text bug in Firefox.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Unfortunately, there are times that I want to get on MacRumors from a dreaded PC or Boot Camp. However, I have noticed that when using Internet Explorer 11, certain buttons like the Hyperlink and attach buttons do not work. Is this a setting on the end of IE or an incompatibility with MacRumors? I believe that older versions like IE 8 work fine.

Don't use IE. Problem solved.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Chrome is a bit of a memory pig on Windows and I do not like it tying back into Google so tightly and Firefox has a weird slow text entry bug unless that has been fixed.

It is a shame Chrome has become so bloated both in Windows and OS X. As for Firefox, I don't know what you mean by "slow text entry bug".

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It is a shame Chrome has become so bloated both in Windows and OS X. As for Firefox, I don't know what you mean by "slow text entry bug".

In Firefox under Windows 7, I notice that there is a severe delay from the time a keystroke is entered until the time it appears.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
In Firefox under Windows 7, I notice that there is a severe delay from the time a keystroke is entered until the time it appears.

+1. On Windows 7 at work I basically have no choice but IE. Chrome is unusably slow. Firefox is great until you try to type. :(

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
+1. On Windows 7 at work I basically have no choice but IE. Chrome is unusably slow. Firefox is great until you try to type. :(

I don't like Chrome much anymore, Firefox has a text entry issue, and IE doesn't display some sites correctly. Pick your poison...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I have not noticed the issue on OS X though...

It's been close to 3 years since I used the Windows version of Firefox, but never noticed it at the time.

I'm typing this from Firefox 36.0 in OS X, and the issue definitely isn't there. Firefox has been my default browser on this particular computer since the day I bought it(closing in on 3 years).

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Worth trying to reset IE (Windows+R, type 'inetcpl.cpl' and click OK > Advanced tab in Internet Properties > Reset). You can also try the 'Restore advanced settings'. Please be aware you'll need to restart your computer after doing this.

You can also run CCleaner to get rid of prefetch files/temp Internet files -- at the very least it's going to make the browser run much quicker (depending on when you last ran CCleaner)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Worth trying to reset IE (Windows+R, type 'inetcpl.cpl' and click OK > Advanced tab in Internet Properties > Reset). You can also try the 'Restore advanced settings'. Please be aware you'll need to restart your computer after doing this.

You can also run CCleaner to get rid of prefetch files/temp Internet files -- at the very least it's going to make the browser run much quicker (depending on when you last ran CCleaner)

No luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.