Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Alpha i do not wish to get into this with you again. im sure the regulars around here are tired of it and we have all already embarassed you enough.

i did not mean my comment to attack you but merely to try to warn the less frequent posters here that it is not worth it to try to convert you as you have told us many times that you will not try anything new. let us not drage yet another browser thread into a browser war.

and the novel length comment, you are going to confuse people... :) he is referring to another thread folks, in case you were wondering what he meant by it.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
i did not mean my comment to attack you but merely to try to warn the less frequent posters here that it is not worth it to try to convert you as you have told us many times that you will not try anything new. let us not drage yet another browser thread into a browser war.

There you go again with the wrong info. I never said I won't try anything new. I have, in fact, tried the other browsers, and, as I stated, found them lacking.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
:) cant give up can you. for those of us we are regulars here we know what versions you tried and when and know that you have NOT played the field. dude there is nothing wrong with just bsticking with what you got. i just dont like how you have to comment on what other browser can and can not do when you havent tried them. Alpha, really lets let this go so the other kiddies can keep talking about the new ie. we really do not need EVERY broswer thread to get hijacked in this manner.

3G4N

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
3rd star to the right
zip it guys

enough, both of you.
go to your rooms.
no dinner for you tonight.

and if you keep this up, I'm gonna have to
take away your computer priviliges...

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Your right! I just noticed that! Great news, and a great post. I did not realize that it wasn't doing it until you said something.

Um, sorry to burst your beachball, but pretty much any page with a javascript popup (specifically valid non-commercial popups, like TV Guide listings and weblog comments) still makes IE hang.

You know, when the current generation of IE was released two years ago, I adored it. Until MS hits us with a totally revamped v6, however, it's Moz time. For all it's foibles, Moz is a more solid browser at this point. Hopefully the rumors will hold up and IE6/Mac will be out by summer's end/Jaguar's release. Fingers crossed.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Personally I still use OmniWeb. Please, Please download OmniWeb 4.1 SP91 and use it for a week then use IE again and you will notice that OmniWeb is MUCH nicer in every area. OmniWeb has 100's of more features also. I am going to use IE more now that it has AA text though! ;)

I did. And when I switched back to IE I realized that most the sites I visited had twice as much content as I was seeing.

Like I mentioned earlier, it doesn't fully support dhtml. If at all. That is what powers the little sub menus you see all over the place these days. Example. Macmall. Seems like a good place to test an all mac browser. Mouse-over the main menu items across the top. See the big menus that pop-up in the upper left hand corner of your screen? Yeah, that big mess. Those are supposed to be BELOW the menu items. Like pull down menus.

And hey, while we're at it let's test mozilla. Hmmm.... Same issue. At least mozilla puts a line underneath the links as you mousover. Omniweb does not support that. That's because it's css support is 4 years behind.
But on that page mozilla doesn't support css in the dhtml layers. That's why the links across the top are godawful godzilla-like huge.

Fontreserve.com has the same issue. There are pull-down menus that popup whenever you mouse-over the tabs. Those tabs should also highlight as you mouse over. Same page in mozilla... The menus come up, but they're a complete mess. Mozilla just make's a complete mess of this whole page.

Product pages at adobe.com like http://www.adobe.com/products/golive/main.html don't work right either in omniweb. As you mouse over the vertical list sub menus should pop-up to the right. Mozilla does a good job at this one. But their default text is huge once again.

I didn't design those sites, but as a pt time web designer I want my pages to look the way they were designed. Netscape/mozilla, chimera, icab, omniweb just can't do that. Any web designers out there disagree?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: zip it guys

Originally posted by 3G4N
enough, both of you.
go to your rooms.
no dinner for you tonight.

and if you keep this up, I'm gonna have to
take away your computer priviliges...

Really guys, the newbie is right. Go to the private forum and create your own Bit*h thread. Have Arn set it up so that no one can post but you two. That way you can work it out, or kill each other :D ;)

Anyway, the new IE is better, but it is not as fast as Mozilla. Noway as fast.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Hate to admit it

but IE really looks pretty good now. It always displayed pages best (until it crashes), but now the pages actually look good. I am also very impressed with Mozilla.

In the seven months since I became a mac user there has been tremendous improvement in several browsers. Considering that the average consumer spends more time using their browser than any other app, this has got to be good news for Apple. I just got done doing some things with my daughter in iPhoto, and thats just one more reason why I love my mac. The future is bright, with all the progress that is being made in so many different areas. When Jaguar arrives, along with the new PowerMac and a host of other upgrades, we may look back at the year from MWSF 02 to MWSF 03 as the most exciting year for Apple ever.

Wow, what am I on, anyway?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i think we all see the potencial for a revived browser war. with moz hitting 1.0 AOL/Time Warner churning it into Netscape 7 and changing AOL's browser to gecko based. OS 10.2 coming with Netscape, things could heat up quicker than Alpha's and my comments to eachother.

AOL/TimeWarner is looking for a war and with IE falling behind quickly it might be a well matched war. the clashing fo two evil empires like AOL and MS could be interesting, especially with Apple caught inbetween.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Originally posted by sjs
Not to put too fine a point on it, but except for a very few exceptions, I cannot imagine why anyone would be using IE:

a) its MS...nuff said
b) it crashes more than every other mac program combined
c) OmniWeb and Mozilla are good enough to wean you off IE for 99% of tasks.

Who cares if they fixed a few leaks. Its garbage and you shouldn't be using it!!!

You probably go to alot of boring text filled sites. Omniweb doesn't do to well with flash. Go to espn.com.. it don't even work.

As far as IE .. i hope IE 6.0 improves.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Why no comments about the performance boost?

I don't understand why no one is talking about the IE 5.2 performance boost? For me it was like night and day. I would estimate at least a 3 fold performance boost over first time page loading and a 5 fold performance boost on cached pages.

I am using the 800 mhz TI PB 32 MB Radeon. Maybe the quartz engine really makes a big difference on screen redraws. Scrolling is much smoother. I am impressed!

Good job MS!

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Funny...

Now that it's got AA fonts, I prefer IE on Mac OS X but I use Mozilla on Windoze! Go figure! (We haven't upgraded our work, Win 2K, desktops to IE 6 though, still on 5.5 which blows chunks all over a lot of pages... literally!)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
the clashing fo two evil empires like AOL and MS could be interesting, especially with Apple caught inbetween.

Well, as the apple pr stated "This is the first time that AOL has opened up the AIM protocol"... Surely, there has to be something for AOL/Time Warner in that. and i hate to fuel speculation, but I think Jag will come out after august :)

Alpha, you say that you find all browsers other than IE "lacking". Dude, what's lacking in Mozilla?

3G4N

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
3rd star to the right
j763 said:
"Dude, what's lacking in Mozilla?"

Moz doesn't properly support Flash, Shockwave,
and a few other technologies (dhtml, java, etc.)

From a UI developer POV, Moz hijacks your mouse
events. That ain't cool. Try a drag and drop "app"
made in flash or java. Moz thinks you are
trying to drag and drop it off the page and to the
desktop or something... Screwy... Irritating.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
There's no doubt that IE for Windows is better than IE for Mac - and speed is just one of the advantages. JScript is also way ahead on Windows - for example, vBulletin, the messageboard software used on this site - it has substantially more features on IE for Windows than on IE for Mac. That is why Windows IE is on v 6 while the Mac version is only described as v 5.2.

I love OS X - and I like Internet Explorer - I just wish Microsoft would get their act together on this issue and release IE6 for Mac.

PCUser

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2002
I've never seen any problems with Mozilla's playback of Flash. But if there is any problems, it's Macromedia's fault, not Mozilla's. Flash is a plug-in. That means that that Macromedia writes the support for Flash, not Mozilla.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
oh crap!

I dont think that this version is running any better, I am still getting images that dont load and the beachball, and it seems more than ever now!

ANyone have the same experience?
Or am I merely unconscious and this is a bad M$ commercial where they try to get even at Apple for their new commercials that have a guy that looks like Gates talk about what he uses at his work desk at his software company

I heard that gates has a Ti on his desk.!

L

littlejim

Speed

I've just given this version a try. The speed when resizing a window is still awful. Must be half the speed of Mozilla 1.0 (try www.bbc.co.uk )

Back to Mozilla + Silk for me and use IE for the few times Mozilla falls over.

littlejim
---------

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.