Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Sorry if this has already been posted, but...Internet Explorer 8 KILLS iWeb Sites!

I was working on my iWeb site today (i'm in charge of a website for a local 4-H club). I published some changes, and went to check the site in all of my browsers like I always do after making big changes to my site. I then remembered that the IE 8 beta was out. So i downloaded that. What I saw shocked me. The iWeb sites in IE 8 are totally killed. If you have borders on a picture, they don't show up. Tons of stuff like that. And other more important parts too. They only way you can get the site to appear normal is to enable "Compatibly Mode". I really hope Apple makes changes to iWeb to publish in a way that works with IE 8 once its final version is released. (Or maybe Microsoft will change IE 8 to work with the latest standards...). Either way, somebody has to act, cause I can't have a site that looks like crap to 70% of its users.

Any thoughts on this?

There is also a thread in the Apple Discussion Forum about this too.

EDIT: perhaps this thread would be better suited in the web design forum.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Or maybe get Microsoft to change IE! IE also destroys my youtube channel. the stuff I see on safari, firefox, netscape, etc are all pretty much the same. IE killed it so bad... it looked like some washed out all the vibrant colors...

No1Roots4Goliat

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Sorry if this has already been posted, but...Internet Explorer 8 KILLS iWeb Sites!

I was working on my iWeb site today (i'm in charge of a website for a local 4-H club). I published some changes, and went to check the site in all of my browsers like I always do after making big changes to my site. I then remembered that the IE 8 beta was out. So i downloaded that. What I saw shocked me. The iWeb sites in IE 8 are totally killed. If you have borders on a picture, they don't show up. Tons of stuff like that. And other more important parts too. They only way you can get the site to appear normal is to enable "Compatibly Mode". I really hope Apple makes changes to iWeb to publish in a way that works with IE 8 once its final version is released. (Or maybe Microsoft will change IE 8 to work with the latest standards...). Either way, somebody has to act, cause I can't have a site that looks like crap to 70% of its users.

Any thoughts on this?

IE is back for Mac?

Darn. Better pack up WebKit & Safari, kids. :rolleyes:

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I wish Microsoft would just scrap IE altogether. There's no hope for it.

It would be nice if Microsoft could just push Firefox to all the Windows users, but all that crap that's "Internet explorer only" would stop working.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
IE 8 ruins just about every site. Luckily you can add one META tag and IE 8 will render the page like IE 7.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Ok, you are surprised when a software still in beta testing messes things up? IE for that matter?! :rolleyes:

I would say you have nothing to worry about until IE8 is finalized. Until then, so small a percentage of people use the beta of IE that there should be no problems for you. Hopefully when it is done, something has changed from how it is now.

And while I agree that MS should just trash it, that is like saying they should trash vista because that sucks. Obviously that is true, but it won't happen :D

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
First, i'm talking about IE 8 for PC. Not mac.

Second, the issue I see with this is that I think Microsoft has IE 8 viewing sites they want. Thats why they have a compatibilty mode to view sites properly. I think they want people to change their sites to work with IE 8 instead of the other way around. If they wanted sites to be viewed properly, wouldn't they have Compatibilty Mode be default and the mess up sites mode be an option? (Thats probably not my best point :) )

The other issue is that if this viewing issue is still there in the Final Release, thats a big problem. With all of the iWeb sites out there, and many people with PC's using IE (due to work restrictions, etc.), that means lots of people aren't going to be able to use/view my website in the way it was intended

And yes, I do realize its only beta software at the moment (thank goodness). But...if they don't change it, that will cause lots of problems for lots of people IMHO.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX

Any thoughts on this?

Typical internet explorer. IE also made my Wordpress blog look AWFUL.

The blog URL is RylieRutter.com, in case anyone wanted to check it out.

Any thought on why they aren't trying to fix all these glitches?

Any thoughts on why this is only in IE, not in FireFox, Safari, Opera, etc.?

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
If you add the following meta tag to a page, it will be make the page compatible with IE7:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

If the page follows W3C standards, it should display properly in IE8.

Any thoughts on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.