Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Yeah, Microsoft dropped support a while ago and no longer offers it as a download. There may be places you can download it from... I can send it to you via AIM if you want. I think it's as easy as that...

Edit: Nevermind, the cowboy beat me. ;)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It might be worth noting that IE5 for Mac is really fairly useless for checking the way sites render in IE6 for Windows, as IE for Mac and IE for Windows use completely different rendering engines. Of course there are people out there who still use IE for the Mac, so checking in IE for the Mac is not a bad idea.

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Thank you~! Your feedback has been very helpful.

So what would be the best way to check how my websites turn out on IE for PC?

kineticpast

macrumors member
May 13, 2005
mduser63 said:
It might be worth noting that IE5 for Mac is really fairly useless for checking the way sites render in IE6 for Windows, as IE for Mac and IE for Windows use completely different rendering engines.
Very true, IE for Mac and IE for Windows are very, VERY different when it comes to rendering content. In fact, IE for Windows is much closer to almost any other browser.

Web designers all over the world rejoiced when official support for IE for Mac was dropped, its CSS rendering was very weird and it took too much work to hack up your code to get it to look decent (though in the beginning it was one of the better ones!).

Unless you are designing a site specifically about Macs (and only if it was a support site or one about pre OS X operating systems that would attract old Mac users) then I suggest you ignore IE for Mac, then you wont be stressed out by the mess it may make of your beautiful design and you wont need to waste hours finding all sorts of hacks to correct it. The one IE for Mac user that might stumble across your site will already be very used to broken sites and wont hold anything against you. ;)

kineticpast

macrumors member
May 13, 2005
silence said:
So what would be the best way to check how my websites turn out on IE for PC?
Depends on what system you're running. If it is compatible with VirtualPC then that is a decent option, especially if you get several versions of Windows and several versions of IE as each OS and version renders sites quite differently.

Otherwise you could just get a very cheap PC or go visit your mate's place and borrow their PC!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Most people use an actual PC. Or you can subscribe to a service like BrowserCam...I haven't used it, so I can't speak to its quality, but things like this are out there.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I use Virtual PC to check websites in IE for Windows. Despite the complaining that you hear about it, it works fine for that. Even on my PowerBook it starts up as quickly as a regular PC, and while it's a little slow, for checking website rendering it's just fine.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Get a really, really good friend with a Windows comp and have them check it and send you an ss. :D
Ok, ok, that only works for suuuper amateurs...:eek:

Seriously, I'd just use VPC (should be fine for that).
And also, let's admit it. It's not hard to find a PC w/ internet access and IE. :rolleyes: sadly. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.