Internet Explorer on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ace of nothing, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ace of nothing macrumors newbie

There is a site that only plays well with IE. I only have a Mac.

I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari already...

I also tried downloading an ap that plays an old school version via Darwine, that didn't work either.

Any ideas?
    (I need to get on this site, long story but I can't just skip it)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can try IE4OSX, but if you are relying on ActiveX, nothing will work.

3. ag55 macrumors regular

I hate that too, particular sites just dont work with better browsers like Firefox. Have to load up IE which takes its sweet time, hate it.

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just for the record, you could try installing a user agent switcher addon to Firefox, set it to IE and see if the site works then. Lots of sites still use browser sniffing and often the JavaScript code for that is done all wrong so they don't work properly.

5. BPresley321 macrumors regular

I had this problem too and didn't get very far...ended up giving up. Tried a couple different solutions and never was satisfied.

6. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

How about installing VirtualBox (free), Windows (pay or free your choice), and use IE within a virtual environment?

JP

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I'd try the firefox plugin above, otherwise you will probably have to install Windows via bootcamp and then use IE. You can get windows 7 rc1 for free btw.

8. devburke Guest

This can also be done in Safari if you turn on "Show Develop menu in menu bar" under Advanced in Preferences. Although all this does, whether for Firefox or Safari, is trick the website into thinking you're running IE. If it actually relies on IE from a software angle (like if it uses ActiveX), then you're outta luck.

9. Mac1212 macrumors member

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't work if the site uses ActiveX, which is most likely the case. Most sites that don't use ActiveX will still display on Firefox or Safari, even if they're designed for IE.

11. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I tried everything I could find on this subject and finally gave up on a "native" solution. I ended up getting VMWare and XP. One website only is causing this. (though it has proven useful to have it to work around the insert image bug in Word 2008 under SL).

12. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Another thing you can try is contact the website's support and demand that they make their website work on other browsers. This really should not be happening nowadays with all the different browser choices out there. Some of the website programmers out there seem to have an IE snobbery because it's so unprofessional to make websites only work in IE.

If they are really too lazy, which is unprofessional, to check their websites on other browsers then they should at least choose Firefox because it's multi-platformed and for the most part if it works in Firefox it also works in IE. This takes away their excuse that's most people use IE. Firefox also has enough users that they really can't ignore this group.

This is also not a PC vs Mac issue because there are people on PCs that don't want to use IE as their main web browser. If it's a business site you are talking about then they will be very unwise to make their site not work on other browsers and if enough people complain they will change it. If it's a personal website then you are probably out of luck because it's most likely an IE snobbery and the person probably won't change their way.

13. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

One solution I found that worked for me was installing Darwine and then ies4osx found here:

http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

Its only ie6 but it does what I need it to do.

14. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

go to the store buy a windows os, install it onto ur mac via bootcamp and bam ur ready to go