Internet Explorer - on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pvellacott, Apr 2, 2008.

1. pvellacott macrumors newbie

My problem.

I have an iMac at home and a Powerbook, both running OSX 10.4.11.

My office are PC's using webmail through Internet Explorer. If I remotely log in to my office email using https: blah, blah, blah - I can see my inbox, but none of the folders, subfolders etc.

IF I log on using Internet Explorer and a PC - I see all my mail and all the folders. My useless IT manager told me to install Internet Explorer on my mac - but it looks like there is not IE for Mac's.

I have Firefox and Safari on my Mac - both don't allow me full access to my work email, folder etc, etc....

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!????

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Your work e-mail is rubbish and requires Internet Explorer to work correctly. There is an ancient version of IE for the Mac (version 5) but it is no longer developed or supported. You can probably find a version with Google if you hunt around though.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can still get the last version of IE 5.2.3 for OS X here. Terrible browser, but if you need it you need it.

What Webmail client are they using?

(IE4OSX requires an Intel processor, so it's probably a no-go for you.)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ah, oops I missed that. To be honest IE 5.23 is probably better even on Intel if it works.

6. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by webmail client, and I will find out....

7. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Just out of curiosity, what kind of email are they using? My current job and the previous employer both have ways of viewing work email from the web. In both instances, Outlook is used at work, but I can view everything just fine using Firefox on Mac. I will say, however, that using Firefox causes the page layout to be completely different but still fully functional.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's some sort of software installed on your company's servers that allows you to access your e-mail. For instance, it could be something like Microsoft Outlook / Exchange, or maybe one of the smaller ones like Horde, SquirrelMail, CommuniGate Pro, etc.

There should be some sort of indication either directly on the page you see when you log in or maybe in a link somewhere as to what they're using.

9. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm - I've been wondering if there was a way to view my Quickbooks account other than using Fusion/IE. Hopefully IE4OSX will work.

10. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Are you talking about Outlook Web Access? If so, you can access your mail folders through Firefox and Safari, the UI is just different than if you used IE for Windows. Instead of navigating a folder tree, you click on the folder icon and select the folder you want to open. It is a PITA but it works.

As a FYI, you will have the same issue with IE for OS X (i.e. the last version if IE released by Microsoft for use on Mac OS X) and IE4OSX (i.e. the Windows version of IE that you run in Mac OS X with Darwine) won't work on your PowerBook as it requires an Intel-based Mac.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just a guess, try this out (it won't do any harm, and may work)

Type the following command in Terminal (while Safari is NOT running):
    Code:
     % defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
    Then press return, then open Safari, and while trying your e-mail, change the User Agent in the new menu to Internet Explorer.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

^^^Actually, with Safari 3.1, there's no need for Terminal commands or third-party apps to do this. Just go to Safari --> Preferences --> Advanced and check the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" box. Then you'll be able to access the User Agent option from in there.

But that likely won't help, as all it does is "spoof" a different browser to get around browser checks. It appears to be loading just fine for you, but is displaying differently.

It does sound like you may be using Outlook Web Access. I don't use it myself, but if I recall correctly, the folder tree access as you describe it does not work. However, it should still be usable.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thats good, I'm using the Webkit nightly, so I thought it was a feature of WebKit and not Safari 3.1

It works on MyHeritage, thats why I thought of it.