Internet Explorer to Safari questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joemero, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

I'm brand new to mac, just got a 15" mbp. On my PC I was constantly used to clearing cookies, temp files, history, etc under properties on IE, because for security reasons, and to keep viruses at bay. What does the "Empty Cache" feature do on Safari 4? Is that the same as clearing cookies? Thanks in advance for answering my newbie question. :)

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

No it doesn't delete cookies when you empty the cache. Safari -> Preferences -> Security -> Cookies to remove them.

3. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

What does "Empty Cache" do? How many of you use delete cookies at a security measure from accidently going to a questionable site?
    How do most of you have it configured?
    Accept cookies:
    Always
    Never
    Only from sites I've visited
    ??

Is there an option to remove temporary internet files?

4. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Empty Cache just clears out the cache as it says,

To clear everything out (browsing history, temp files etc..) click on Reset Safari, which should be one above Empty Cache.

Even better, turn on "Private Browsing" in the same menu, and the computer doesn't store any history, cookies etc..

"for security reasons, and to keep viruses at bay" are you sure it wasn't for anything else :D

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well I avoid questionable sites. I don't think you have anything to be worried about honestly. And the Cache is the 'temporary internet files'.

6. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Also, on a mac, you aren't going to be getting viruses. There aren't any.

The only thing you should be wary of are trojans, but for them to hurt your computer you have to enter your password.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to worry about viruses on a Mac, since there are none. As long as you're careful about what you download and install (entering your admin password), you'll be fine. The cache is the same as "temporary internet files" on a PC. Many sites require cookies for efficient navigation, shopping carts, etc., so it's not a bad thing to have cookies enabled. You can always clear them whenever you like.

Here are your choices on clearing things in Safari:

Picture 1.jpg