Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Any ideas when we will get a decent Internet Explorer?? I know people are goint to tell me to use other software! However, I am sticking with IE! A while back we had lots of talk about new versions. What happened?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
version 5.5 is supposed to be coming, but with all this talk of apple dumping IE, I"m not sure if M$ will make another version?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
talking about getting a "decent" version of explorer, while acknowledging the existence of other browsers that may be better, and also refusing to use any browser other than explorer all in the same post.

thats just idiocy man.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Falleron... like you, I used to be a diehard IE user. Stuck in my ways and afraid of the unknown.

My advice to you is to dig deep and muster up your adventurious side. The same part of you that was crazy enough to choose Macintosh.

Download Chimera. Install Chimera. Use Chimera. YOU WON'T BE DISSAPPOINTED!

If not, I give you the freedom to flame me, call me names, and generally tell me why IE is superior to Chimera.

Now go 'n try it silly!

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Chimera uses more memory, doesn't scroll as smoothly, and is not very configurable... although I still like it a lot.

There really is no perfect browser for OS X. They all have different strengths and weaknesses.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I use IE becuase:

1. It's already installed on my computer.
2. Hard drive space is precious, and I don't won't to have to support the load of another browser. (I know I can remove IE and reclaim space, but you never really completely get rid of a program (which is another problem))
3. I don't have problems with it, and I think it's easy to use.

I'm keeping alive hope that Apple will develope a browser of their own. If that happens, I will gladly switch to it. Until then, I am happy using the products that are Apple made, or made in conjunction with an Apple alliance.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by sparkleytone
ya thats the one thing i really like about IE on my mac. it takes up 0KB of space.

I just wanted to clarrify...are you supposed to be sarcastic in this post? If so, I do realize that it takes up HD space, but IE is actually encoded differently than other browsers. It's actually written to take up less space than most other browsers. I should know, I used to program IE for the mac.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by RBMaraman

I just wanted to clarrify...are you supposed to be sarcastic in this post? If so, I do realize that it takes up HD space, but IE is actually encoded differently than other browsers. It's actually written to take up less space than most other browsers. I should know, I used to program IE for the mac.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have four browsers on my computer and IE is, by far, not the smallest of the lot. The heaviest of them is Netscape at 38 MB. IE weighs in at about 24 MB. Chimera Navigator comes next at 21 MB. Finally, bringing up the tail, is iCab at 5 MB. So, on my computer, at least, IE doesn't seem to be taking up less space than its competitors.

(If iCab were a little more complete I might consider using it more of the time. I like its small foot print, and fast page loading, but there are some of those usability features that it just doesn't have - like url completion.)

FWIW, my main browser these days is Chimera Navigator.
:)

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
after reading this thread last night, I decided to give Chimera another shot. I gotta say that I am thrilled with it. The speed slaps IE around. I only had one glitch with page layout, and that was on my own page, which probably isn't writen in the best code of all time. I used Flashkit to test flash, and it literally jumped of the page at me. I was watching full size flash in one window while the prieview played behind and both were running seamlessly.

Chimera has come a great distance in a few months. I tossed IE off the dock (haven't deleted it yet, though) and I can now say that I use no MS software. So they can shove it.

edited because I am not smart enough to read my posts for errors before posting.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I always used Internet Explorer... until I tried Chimera... I just love it! It's way better then IE! Way faster! I recommend you guys give it a try!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
fyi

the latest nightly has another feature of course. they have added a bookmark button for those that like gui buttons instead of shortcuts. also, since .5 they have added a checkbox to enable or disable popup blocking, and they have added keychain password support.

check out a nightly.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Problem is that when you need to deisgn a web page it is much better to do testing in IE because many people use it. I dont use IE because its Fast or Stable!

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by Falleron
Problem is that when you need to deisgn a web page it is much better to do testing in IE because many people use it. I dont use IE because its Fast or Stable!

So why don't you download Mozilla or Chimera and test it with one of those? Then maybe people will find out that it's not optimized for IE and go download Mozilla or something.:)
Use it as an evil plan to rid people of the bug that is IE! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
:p

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by edvniow

So why don't you download Mozilla or Chimera and test it with one of those? Then maybe people will find out that it's not optimized for IE and go download Mozilla or something.:)
Use it as an evil plan to rid people of the bug that is IE! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
:p
Dont get me wrong, it is very necessary to test on other browsers. However, its a fact that most people use Internet Explorer + therefore more effort needs to be put into that. Thats just the way it is. Maybe I'll give the other browsers another go!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001

It makes perfect sense to keep IE on your hard drive for testing purposes and the rare times that only IE will do - BUT - I think that once you try Chimera, you will use it exclusively for all your personal browsing.

I don't know how anyone gets by without tabs?

dmg

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2002

Your wasting your time testing your web pages in IE for Mac. It's not the most popular browser - IE for Windows is. IE for Mac renders HTML and handles Javascript and CSS differently to IE for Windows.

You need Virtual PC or Remote Desktop instead.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002

If this is your need for IE, you should really test in IE 4 & 5.5 for PC, and AOL.

Using the most current release as a testing platform is silly. You need QA starting with the least common denominator. I still have one client site I have to test in Navigator 4.0.8 and IE 4 (Mac or PC) as my base.

Wanting a new version for the sake of a testing platform is silly, as by the time most of your users have upgraded, you'll likely be using IE 7!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
After reading all these posts this is what you need to do:

1) Sack IE
2) Download Chimera, or Mozilla if you really like extra features
3) Test using Chimera, because testing in IE doesnt matter.

Bottom-line - IE sucks, there is no reason you should be using it. And it definitely isn't a small browser.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
When I create pages I do a whole range of testing using PC versions as well. However, I have moved completly to OSX + would like a good version of IE. I understand everyone's point about using different software but I have decided to stick with IE until the next release! If its no good then, I will look for an alternative.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: fyi

Originally posted by sparkleytone
they have added a checkbox to enable or disable popup blocking
Finally! Now I can use Chimera all the time, I HATE popups!
B4 I used Chimera for browsing sites that I knew there were no popups (like here), but Mozilla for general surfing because of this very feature.

ryanweb

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2001
NY
IE is useless

I'm a web designer and recent switcher, and I can tell you that IE for Mac is useless for testing or any other purposes. It does not render pages correctly, it crashes often and so on. I use Chimera for testing and as my default browser and I have my old HP with IE 6 installed, so I can compare. Chimera is the only browser on Mac platform that render pages as they supposed to be rendered.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by Total OS X
Personally I will be glad when Apple drops IE for good and puts out their own browser.

Yes, but the last thing any of us needs is another confounded "Netscape" or "IE" programming / compatibility scenario on the web. It's such a pain for developers and users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.