Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Ok so dumb question, where can I find Internet Explorer in OSX? I'd rather avoid having to load up classic everytime I need to use IE for whatever reason.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Suppose the upside of that is that htey may start putting in better support for Safari in their sites ;)

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
MacsRgr8 said:
That's what we are all hoping for! :)
Something else that occurs to me is that they're jumping on the x86 idea. Though I don't know enough to say how likely that is :confused:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
LastLine said:
Something else that occurs to me is that they're jumping on the x86 idea. Though I don't know enough to say how likely that is :confused:

Microsoft has publicly stated that they will support Intel Macs with both Virtual PC and Microsoft Office. Whether or not they'll release free updates or require paid upgrades to newer versions remains to be seen. I have a feeling that Office will work just fine in Rosetta, but VPC really needs to be made in a native version, possibly even a complete rewrite or port of the PC version for it to work well. Of course, if they do that, it should be possible to make it so that emulation in Virtual PC is just about native speed because no CPU emulation will be necessary.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
LastLine said:
Suppose the upside of that is that htey may start putting in better support for Safari in their sites ;)

the upside should be that sites will be more standards compliant, not necessarily "better support" for safari.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
mduser63 said:
Microsoft has publicly stated that they will support Intel Macs with both Virtual PC and Microsoft Office. Whether or not they'll release free updates or require paid upgrades to newer versions remains to be seen. I have a feeling that Office will work just fine in Rosetta, but VPC really needs to be made in a native version, possibly even a complete rewrite or port of the PC version for it to work well. Of course, if they do that, it should be possible to make it so that emulation in Virtual PC is just about native speed because no CPU emulation will be necessary.

Just think the irony of emulating x86 inside of emulating PPC on an x86 mac.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
ChrisFromCanada said:
Just think the irony of emulating x86 inside of emulating PPC on an x86 mac.

:)As good as Rosetta may be, I just can't imagine that all that instruction translation is going to make for acceptable performance of the PPC version of VPC. MS already has a PC/Windows version of Virtual PC, so hopefully that will help them at making an x86 version of Mac Virtual PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.