internet explorer???

veeco3110

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
brick nj
anyone remember the video of bill gates with steve jobs saying that internet explorer was goign to be the default internet browser for leopard???

im guessing that didnt happen???

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I think you've got your timescales pretty seriously messed up. Gates appeared at MacWorld Boston in 1997 and announced the deal for Internet Explorer to be the default browser on MacOS 8.6. The first version of OSX didn't come out until March 2001, and although it was swiftly followed by IE5.1 for OSX Microsoft abandoned development of IE for OSX soon after, leading Apple to create their own browser in Safari :p

veeco3110

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
brick nj
coulda swore i saw a recent video of steve doing a release for soemthign and bill coming over the video feed. steve saying blah blah blah dont boo because if any company can help its always welcome. safari will also be available on ur system to switch back.

oh well

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The mac version of IE was always pretty crappy anyhow - especially by the time it got to OS X. You could install IE7/Win via Darwine if you're feeling really perverse - there's an all-in-one installation package out there somewhere if you want to look for it.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Why would you want IE on your Mac anyway?? I use Safari and Firefox and I don't really see a point to having IE....
I wish I never had to use IE. There are at least two web sites I need to use for work that are IE only. And there is no way to bypass it (yet;))