Internet extremely slow - not a DNS issue - help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polisciguy12, Nov 13, 2008.

1. polisciguy12 macrumors newbie

So i have been having a problem for at least a week now with my macbook pro - running leopard.

The internet is extremely slow. This happens in all browsers. I have read over the forums and tried changing/adding DNS numbers - but this is not the issue (when i test from Network Utilities it is fine).

It is not a problem with the router - i have a second computer which is running fine.

I'm really stuck here and have no idea what this could be.

Thanks in advance!

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Does it only happen on this computer? Do you have another to test with?

3. belvdr macrumors 603

If wired, check your speed seetings. Make sure it is set to Auto. If set to half duplex, that'll kill any connection.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You may want to eliminate all manually entered DNS entries and let the machine pick them up automatically. By specifying them you're forcing it to look at those paths which can be a definite point of slowdowns. Normally your router is the only listed DNS Server unless you absolutely must specify one because of your ISP or the network you're connecting through.

I attach to probably 150 or more different ISP's and/or private networks a year, and have to actually specify a DNS address or search domain maybe once every other year.

Attached Files: