Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
We are moving into a new [smaller] house, with one less bedroom. This means that I have get to live in the separate guest quarters which obviously I was quite stoked about (I'm 16, gimme a break) until I found out there is a fairly large chance I'll be internet-less, therefor crushing my have an awesome computer set up dreams.

screenshot20101002at637.png

Chances are my Macbook with its uber hightech wireless G technology won't have particularly strong (or any) signal in my smurfcottage. It seems my options would be:

• PowerLine Networking, though chances are I'm on a different circuit.
  • WIFI Attenna, though I have no idea how this works.
  • Run an ethernet cable through the house, and through a garden hose, though I have a mother. Enough said.

I'm kinda freaking it.
Any advice?

-Omi
(An internet obsessed spoiled brat)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If the WiFi doesn't cut it, I'd suggest the Ethernet in a garden hose thing. I've never had good results with powerline networking.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Just get an eithernet cord and run it from your house to the guest house. I figure a 150ft should be long enough. If you want to protect it you would need to dig a trench put in some PVC pipe then run the cord threw that.

but the 100-150' cord you should be able to plug it it directing into your families router then to a WLan port on a router you your guest quarters.
If it safe to say you will not be having cable TV in your guest guarters.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I've heard good things about wireless cannons. One of those should give you the best signal you can get. Can't be that hard to set up, right?
Do those actually work :O
Pretty pricey for a plastic tube.

Just get an eithernet cord and run it from your house to the guest house. I figure a 150ft should be long enough. If you want to protect it you would need to dig a trench put in some PVC pipe then run the cord threw that.

but the 100-150' cord you should be able to plug it it directing into your families router then to a WLan port on a router you your guest quarters.
If it safe to say you will not be having cable TV in your guest guarters.
We renters, so there will be no digging up.
And mum really isn't pleased with the ideas of running blue cables through her house.
There is a cable jack in the guest house, but the main house won't even have cable tv. (Apple TV/Hulu is what we use)

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Can you not put the wireless router in the back corner of the house closest to the cottage? Should be close enough for good signal.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I think directional antennas would be the way to go here. At least if dragging cables around is frowned upon.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
We renters, so there will be no digging up.
And mum really isn't pleased with the ideas of running blue cables through her house.
There is a cable jack in the guest house, but the main house won't even have cable tv. (Apple TV/Hulu is what we use)

Then get some grey eithernet cable and run it outside the house until you get to the window of where ever the router is. You can easily string the fence line. It will take extra feet but is do able. Plus you never know when having a spare 100ft+ cord will be useful. I have a few and have used them quite a few times.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
if there is no cable tv, can you hook the wifi antenna up to the cable jacks? Or run the ethernet cable out the closest window to the router to your area.

Or put a repeater in the corner of your area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.