Internet for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gameguy3001, Nov 23, 2007.

1. gameguy3001 macrumors member

So my Xbox 360 is on the opposite end of the house from my internet. I'm lookig for a way to get the internet connection to my 360 that doesnt involve me routing wires across my house. I was thinking of getting two airport expresses (one for creating a wireless network and one for recieving). Are there any cheaper solutions avaialable?

EDIT: I dont have a existing wireless network.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think the wireless adapter for the XBox 360 is cheaper than an Airport Express. Probably easier to set up in that manner too.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

4. BRUUUCE macrumors member

before you buy wireless gear

i hated my xbox wireless adapter, everything would run fine then i would suddenly drop out or hit lag. This never happens to me while connected via ethernet cable.

could have just been my adapter/network though..

5. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

dude you dont need to buy a load of airports or wireless roughters (what ever there called) just buy the xbox wireless connector ive got 1 there easy to set up just type in the wep key (the code on the bottom of your main wireless roughter) with that done it should be fine and the connection is ace ive never lost connection :D

6. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Have you considered moving your cable or DSL modem near your xbox? Then it can have a wired connection, and you could buy a wireless router for your computer. This might be the cheapest solution (other then using a wired network). ~$80

Or you could try your idea of using two AEs as a network bridge, but that would be kinda expensive (~$200). Using a good wireless router and the wireless adapter for the Xbox 360 would be a little cheaper (~$180). Or I bet you could find some cheaper hardware that would allow you to bridge the networks together (a wireless router and bridge for under $150 maybe). I'm not all that familiar with network bridges so hopefully someone else can chime in.

7. gameguy3001 thread starter macrumors member

Brand new, a xbox 360 wireless adapter is CAN $129 and a airport express is CAN $119. On ebay their used prices range around $75 for each.

I'm leaning towards getting a airport (express or extreme) as my main wireless router any way. just because they are what i'm most familiar with (my job used to involve setting them up).

From what i have read as well, the wireless 360 adapter has some trouble connecting to encrypted airport signals. please, correct me if im wrong.

So i see two possible solutions that dont involve me going into the attic and routing a ethernet connection to my 360:

- i could get 2 AE's from ebay (~$150)
    - i could get a non-apple wireless router thats possibly cheaper than a AE and the 360 wireless adapter (~$75+router cost)

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think there are also network adapters that send the signal through your electrical lines. This might be a cheap solution if all you want to do is get internet to your 360.