Internet going in an out despite steady WiFi

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ericDylan, May 28, 2012.

1. ericDylan macrumors regular

I have a 2010 MBA and all has been good until recently. My internet connection keeps getting lost. It says I am connected to it in the status bar, but, every now and then, it just stops connecting.

When I am browsing, I don't get any kind of error message or anything. The blue progress bar in the address bar just stops moving. I have found that restarting the computer is faster than letting it resolve itself (if it even would, I have never sat waiting longer than a minute or two).

I know it is not the connection because I can connect my phone to the WiFi and use it. Plus, the internet works immediately every time I restart it, which leads me to believe it is a computer problem. I am also somewhat sure it is not safari because, when it happens, I have tried opening up firefox to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea how to fix it?

It is rather annoying.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

It may be related to the brand of access point or to running Bluetooth concurrently. I've noticed in some situations, at the local library in particular, WiFi is not dependable in one corner of the building where the signal is marginal, especially with Bluetooth on, as there is some coexistence interference btwn the two. I don't have this issue anywhere else.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) Go to the folder: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
    2) Delete (or move to your desktop) these files:
    com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    preferences.plist​

Reboot your computer.

This will reset your networking profiles. See if this fixes your issues. If it does, delete the old profiles from trash. If it does not fix your issue, go back to the folder above and move the old files back (then reboot).

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

5. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Recycling???

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What does this do, exactly? Or, why would those two files cause WiFi issues?

7. ericDylan thread starter macrumors regular

I tried doing this. Hopefully the problems won't continue. We'll see.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

These are preference files that store information on the networks connected, routing information, etc.

Sometimes they get corrupted and cause connection issues like the ones the OP experience.

9. uwetodd macrumors member

OP: I had the same problem with the late model 2010 MBA and experience it occasionally with my 2011. Apple tech support said it's a known issue with all MBAs. They also had me doing what Alpha recommended. It worked for a while, but the issue reappears every once in a while.

The next step (for me) is to upgrade the router, but I'm not sure if that's going to be a permanent fix.

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thanks for explaining.

And OP, let us know if this fixes your issues.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Cycling power.

12. ericDylan thread starter macrumors regular

The solution appears to have worked. It hasn't happened yet.