Internet Help for G3 pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jyfe, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jyfe macrumors newbie

jyfe

Hello All!
    I bought my G3 Mac Pro(v.10.2.8) a few months ago, used, and a came home hooked it up to the monitor, keyboard, ethernet etc. and turned it on and to my surprise no internet :mad: so I've been using it offline for a few months now, but today I decided I would Google "How to connect a Mac to the internet" and got a article from Apple's site so I read it and did what it said (entered DNS Server, IP etc.) and it still didn't work :mad: So does anybody have any suggestions? I've had a PC connected to the internet with the same cable and everything for as long as I can remember, but the Mac won't connect??? Oh and the router is a 2Wire if anyone needs to know, which has a password but I think it's only for Wireless though.

Thanks for any help,
    Jyfe

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

In the System Preferences under...... Network, check to see if Built-in-Ethernet is listed. Ultimately you should be able to find it under Port Configurations through a pull-down menu (it's hard to remember, 10.2 was different). If, for some reason you cannot find it, then your port may be dead.

If it shows, and you just can't find the right settings to use then try to create a New Location under the locations pull-down menu in the same Network System Pref. That will set you up with default connection settings which is sufficient to utilize most routers. Otherwise, DHCP should be set to automatic as far as I know with the 2Wire's and that should be it. If you bought it used without a fresh system install then it might be set to the previous owner's settings.

After creating a New Location, restart the machine. Probably not neccessary, but it doesn't hurt.