Internet help on Mac G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G3 Ownz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. G3 Ownz macrumors newbie

Ok, i am trying to set up internet on my iMac g3, so i can upgrade to 9.2.2 but my modem isnt on the list of modems that i have to choose from!!! what do i do!

2. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

On my iMac G3 I just used ethernet and just pressed cancel for all the internet settings. Or clicked "I'm not ready for the internet yet." The internet worked without any of that setup business.

If you're using an actual modem as implied in your post, I don't know how to do that without the software from your Internet service provider, and I doubt that it'll be easy to come by for os 9 because they've likely dropped support for it.

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

5. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

im using a dsl modem, but my trey drive is only a cd rom will it support the software install for the modem software?

6. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

If you're using a dsl modem that means that you're using an ethernet cord and not a phone line right? In that case I would cancel all the internet settings that you've made and it should work. (At least it did on my iMac).

If you're using a the 56k or 28k modem then you will likely need the software from your ISP. This may be available online for download or on CD. It def will not be on a dvd as the software should be a in the ballpark of 50-100 MB.

7. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

lol im a noob, i am using a ethernet chord yes, how do i cancel my settings

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Sorry, I'm a noob about most of these things too. My greatest accomplishment is replacing the HD in my powerbook.

How do you feel about doing a fresh install of os 9? That would erase any settings you've made. Then all you have to do is click "I'm not ready for the internet." and you should be set.

Btw what model do you have?

9. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no clue what one this is, the problem with reinstallin it is i dont have the disk!

10. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a way to reset my internet stuff wit out reinstall

11. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

You can click on the marketplace part of this forum and easily pick one up for under $15. The only solution that I can offer is a fresh install. Maybe a os 9 user can help you find another way. All my computers currently run OS X. Good luck.

12. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

From what I can remember, your first step is to go to Control Panels and then select Apple Talk and make sure it is set up through ethernet (default is the printer port). Next, go to TCP/IP control panel and set it to ethernet.

Heck, a simple five second search on Google brought me this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106867

Good luck (and Google is your friend)