Internet help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mysterui, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mysterui macrumors newbie

Hey all, I have the newest base Macbook.

I am trying to connect it to the internet using a cable modem that was plugged into my PC. I just took the ethernet cord out of my PC and plugged it into the ethernet port on my mac, with no results. Can anybody help with this? The modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB5101 if that helps.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi and welcome. :)

1) are you sure you're using an Ethernet port and not USB? Some cable modems use both; USB won't work without a specific driver, I think (and is generally to be avoided, in Windows or OS X).

2) Go to system preferences -> network -> click on the ethernet item in the white list -> click on assist me at the bottom -> run the "assistant." See if that solves your problem. If that doesn't, do the same thing, but at the last step, run the diagnostics instead, and come back with a report of which of the bubbles in the report you get back are not green, and which are green. You'll get a display like this:

[​IMG]

You can refer to them by the names listed or just say, "1, 2, 3, and 4 are green, but the rest are red." :)

3. myke323 macrumors regular

try unplugging your modem for about 10 minutes, then plugging it back in and waiting another 10 minutes... then see if it's working...

4. mysterui thread starter macrumors newbie

"1, 2, 3, and 4 are green, but the rest are red." =P

5. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Agreed, try what myke suggested. Brighthouse, formerly RoadRunner, formerly TimeWarner used to do this so you didn't just switch computers quickly - this way they could sell their "home networking" package.

Let the modem sit unplugged (power) for 10 minutes.

Hope this helps