Internet in OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZiggyPastorius, Apr 5, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Hey, everybody. I installed OS 9 using the program sheepshaver, and it runs fine for some things, but things such as Quicktime cause the whole OS to freeze...If anybody has an idea of why that happens, it's appreciated. On the other hand, though, I can't get it to connect to the internet, either by Wireless, or by Ethernet. It has an option in the control panel for Ethernet connection and even though OS 9 was hailed as "the ultimate internet machine," I cannot get it to connect. Any ideas?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im sure you have your reasons but why on earth do you want to use the internet in an emulated os on a modern computer? besides the obvious problems pretty much all the os9 browsers are outdated, p.s i hear a lot of people have stability issues with sheepshaver.

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Haha, I don't have any reason, actually. I just wanted to install some old programs and mess around in OS 9 a little bit for fun. It is a pretty unstable program, so, I guess there's no way for me to connect to the internet. Thanks.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there is i think 1 browser still be developed for os9 but i cant for the life of me remember the name, i think its related to mozilla renderer, if you really wanna play with os9 if you ask about you can usually get g3 imacs and g4 powermacs (early ones) for free or next to nothing, the powermacs can be upgraded in almost every way except the mobo if you get an agp model.

5. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Actually, when my like 88 year old neighbour gets back from Florida, I'm going to ask her if I can buy her like OS 7 or 8 computer from her, just to play on :p Seems like a good idea. Thanks.

6. thedoctor45 macrumors newbie

check your sharing and TCP/IP settings and make sure that you have configured SheepShaver correctly in the network settings of the SheepShaverGUI app select or type in /slirp.

Browsers you may use are:
    Netscape 7
    Mozilla 1.3
    iCab 3
    Internet Explorer 5.1
    Cyberdog 2.0
    Opera 6.0

I recommend using Mozilla, the predecessor to Firefox.

you can find some of these old browsers at his location:
    http://mac.oldapps.com/