Internet is SLOW...on a new HP. Help Plz

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AFPoster, May 9, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I ran tests, etc and my speed is fine 12mbps download 1.5mbps download but for some reason the system opens browsers slowly, loads pages extremely slow, etc. Any ideas?

All other computers on the network are fine including my MBP / bootcamp in win 7. It's just this new HP Pavilion Dv6 running Win 7 Pro that we bought for the office. I posted this here since it's a windows section (and I'd never rep a PC but im in need of help. HP had no answer, nor microsoft. It seems however from research it's the OS. I've checked for updates on my AirPort Extreme, updated the HP (which believe it or not made it a little faster) but it just seems like it's capped on a slow speed right now.

Any ideas / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do the problems still exist if you connect with an ethernet cable?

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup =)

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Does the HP machine give decent results from www.speedtest.net (once it's all loaded)?

If so, it could be a DNS issue - try the following from a command prompt:

First, run the following:

ipconfig /all

and have a look for the entry under DNS Servers. Typically they'll be the same as your Default Gateway (i.e. your router). Let us know if they aren't

Next, run the following:

nslookup www.microsoft.com

The response should come back almost instantly

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Not instant and kept getting errors. I've ran this before was hoping for a change, guess that's just the definition of insanity. I'm trying other things but no luck as of yet. I can browse and stuff it just takes 30minutes to load any page and like an hour to download a 4mb file.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What errors did you get?

Can you post the output from the following command:
    netsh interface tcp show global

Also, have you tried disabling ipv6?

7. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Attached Files:

8. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

It has gotten a little bit faster, I'll type a new address (ie engadget) and it shows a blank white screen for about 15-30 seconds and then the page loads 100% instantly. It's now just minimizing that 15-30 delay.

9. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Is this a clean install of Windows? Or does it have all the bloatware crap from HP on it yet?

Any time I purchase a new PC, I always, always do a clean install of Windows first to remove all the garbage they've thrown on there.

If you just got it and have the time, I'd really suggest doing a clean install.

10. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I have been contemplating doing that. I have the win 7pro disc that I bought for Bootcamp on my MBP, I just need to get the serial key for the new HP before I do a fresh install.

11. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I bet the clean install will fix it, you should always do a fresh install when you buy a Windows machine from HP/Dell/Gateway/AnyoneIleftout :p

12. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

So true, knocking that out tonight when I get home.