Internet issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dwd3885, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Hey guys I have a problem. On my macbook pro unibody, the internet with Safari and Firefox is very very slow, sometimes not working at all. It's connected wireless, but my two other computers (windows 7 and Vista, both wireless) browse the internet just fine and pages load up instantly. But EVEN on my MBP, my speed tests are around 5meg when I am able to go to the site. So I know it's nothing with my router/isp.

So what the heck is wrong with my OSX? Somtimes I'll get a page, sometimes not, mostly it just takes minutes to load a page on either safari or firefox. I restored via time machine backup to last week, I thought before I had the problem, but the problem still exists.

I might just install OSX from scratch if there's no good ideas for help on this. Anyone?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apparently you're not alone.

Lots of suggestions there. You might be best just to start running through them and see if anything helps.

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I'll look through them.

4. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

no go on any of that. i'm going to just reinstall osx

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Probably have better luck changing the cat liter.

6. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I reinstalled OSX from scratch and the problem still exists after one day. The DNS I'm using are open dns. I really cannot pinpoint the problem. I went hardwired to my router and it seemed to work fine for a bit.

I tried another router we have and that router was crappy to begin with so it didn't work (different problem though).

Should I just get a new router? If so, I'm looking at the new AirPort Extreme or the D-Link Xtreme.

7. BPresley321 macrumors regular

I'm having a similar problem.

Setup:

Multiple computers (PC and mac) on a wireless network with a cable modem + router combined unit (brand or model not printed on the device) provided by the cable company (Charter). A 4 year old PC running XP with maybe 512k ram loads the web pages great but my <2 year old blackbook (2 gigs ram) has all of a sudden been dragging BAD while loading pages. It might take a minute or two to load a page or it may not load at all.

I've tried:

1. Restarting my computer
    2. Restarting the modem
    3. Contacting the cable company CS to see if there are issues in my area (I followed their directions and ran a speedtest on the PC and on my mac...I got the same speed but of course it took a while to load the page on the mac)

At first I thought it was an issue with the internet service, but the issue is on my machine only. The router appears to be working fine, as the PC still has a great connection. Could something have changed, like through a software update, that hurt my compatibility with the router?

Snow Leopard is due to arrive this Friday...I'm hoping this will help.

Other details:

4. Am using DHCP on the problem blackbook
    5. No gaming or file-sharing going on

8. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

LINK DOES NOT WORK.

9. Architect4122 macrumors regular

This is so frustrating. I have this issue as well...Safari and Firefox in OSX is unbearable.

Ok, this is going to blow your mind...and I would highly suggest trying this if you can. I also use boot camp for Windows XP.

When I re-boot into XP and use firefox the internet is freaking fast...every page is fully loaded in a snap! WTF!? Its the same hardware (obviously) but why is it so much slower on the OSX side...thats what I don't get.