Internet Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stringzz, Jul 12, 2009.

1. stringzz macrumors member

stringzz

I have a Mac Pro, 2nd generation. I recently switched from DSL to Cable Internet service for thespeed upgrade. But now, for some reason, my pages hang, are super slow and sometimes are not found. I have a windows laptop on the same router via ethernet and it doesn't experience the same issues. I did not have this problem when I had DSL. What could be the issue? I am perplexed.

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Make sure you disable IPv6 in your networking preferences pane for TCPIP. It causes a lot of slow downs for some Apple computers.

4. pprior macrumors 65816

I had lots of problems until I changed my DNS server - for some reason the default DNS server would load pages 1/2 way and then safari would stall and sit there for awhile and then finish. I use openDNS now and it's much better. This is on time warner, FWIW.

[opendns is free and has several other benefits as well]

5. doox00 macrumors regular

try doing a traceroute on one of the pages that is hanging and see if you are getting timeouts somewhere along the route.
    for instance in a terminal window do traceroute google.com

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you are using an AVM router it is a known issue with Safari. You need to set your cable DNS server IPs fixed in the router as already said by some other posters.

7. stringzz thread starter macrumors member

stringzz

Good info guys.

I have Cox Cable Internet Service.

I had IPv6 disabled already.

I am not sure if I have an AVM router. I have a Linksys WRT160N router. I don't see AVM anywhere, does AVM stand for Audio Video Management?

So do I change my internet connection in the router from automatic DHCP to static IP?

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

No, DHCP is supposed to remain. The DNS setting is something different. DNS is an external adress of a name server which translates all alphanumeric urls into numeric IP adresses. DHCP is the automatic address directory of your internal network.

You can find the address of your cable networks DNS server in the documentation of your provider. This IP address for DNS you can insert into the networking settings for Airport or Ethernet depending of what you use.

9. stringzz thread starter macrumors member

stringzz

I tried using openDNS, things seem to work a little better now. However, I still get issues from time to time, like when I go to Yahoo.com, instead it takes me to an OpenDNS search page with the following error:

"You tried to visit www.yahoo.com, which is not loading."

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

My GF's macbook continues to have trouble stalling on some pages... I'll check out OpenDNS... is there any trick to it or it's just a matter of plugging in their DNS server addresses into your network settings preferences?

11. pprior macrumors 65816

That's pretty much it. They have a walkthrough on their site.

Maybe everyone's still downloading MJ videos in your area?? :rolleyes:

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You mean I might be killing her connection! :eek: :D