Internet Keeps Getting Cut Off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Josh Kahane, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

This is driving me insane and my dad wont listen to me, but maybe he will if he heres someone say something who knows about it.

Every so often, usually every day if not more than once a day I get cut off from the internet on my Mac Mini (G4) for 5 - 10 minutes at a time. I have no idea why this is happening, and from what I have seen it only seems to be affecting my computer on the home network.

I am using a NETGEAR DG834N router and my Mini is the only one connected to it via ethernet the rest are wireless. We are also with Pipex as out ISP and I'm running 10.5.5 on my Mini.

Hope thats enough information so that you can help me, I would really appreciate it very much, and if you need anymore info I'll post back.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

This is a bit of a long shot but I think you might have a problem with bandwidth throttling. Our internet appears to cut out for a minute or so if lots of people are connected or someone is downloading something big, and from a quick search on the net pipex do the same.

Are you downloading anything large?

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

4. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

Before going forward, do you have multiple computers connected to the network at your house?

Ask your dad/bro/whoever if they are also experiencing the same problem. That might be able to help you figure out if the problem is with your mac only or if it is a more widespread issue.

5. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well as for big downloads and stuff, the only thing I can think of is firstly my dad runs a stock photography site and often uploads high resolution pictures to the internet. Also two of us in the household play World of Warcraft, and MMO, and I can sometimes see either when my dad is uploading (or not) the latentcy can go from normal (32ish) to bad (5000m/s ish).

Also I have found it rather hard to find wether its the other computers or not. Sometimes its is, and my PS3 cuts off as well, and sometimes the other ones seem to be fine.