Internet keeps getting disconnected

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rahsten, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

This has been happening for a while now but it was nothing that couldn't be remedied by shutting down, unplugging my router, plugging it in and restarting. However, today my MacBook just keeps disconnecting me. It's disconnected 3 times in the past 4 hours and it's really annoying me. Prior to today it was happening maybe once every one or two days. Before the update to 10.5.3 it never disconnected like this. The only thing I'm doing different today is using VisualHub to make some DVDs...

I'm running OS 10.5.3 and my MacBook is connected to a Buffalo Broad Station Router (I'm in Japan). My wife's NEC LaVie Laptop is also connected to the same router. Our Wii and PS3 share a LAN cable from the router, I just switch it to whichever machine we want to go online with.

My wife's NEC also randomly loses connection. It's always seemed to happen so I figured it was just an issue inherent to Windows XP...it would happen a couple times a month. The frequency of her disconnections hasn't changed. So I'm assuming my MacBooks problem has something to do with the 10.5.3 update or possibly the router.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I really don't want to keep having to unplug the router and reset my computer especially midway encoding video or downloading from the net...

:apple:

2. teh0ne macrumors newbie

Download iStumbler (istumbler.net) and see what the quality of your connection is. You should also try changing the channel your router is on. Since all was well before, it's very possible that you're getting interference from other wireless networks on the same channel.

3. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Everything is connected by LAN cables. No wireless. So not sure about changing channels. Maybe resetting ports? Not sure how to do that though without messing everything up real bad.

I'll check out iStumbler.

Edit: er... I see, iStumbler is for Wireless networks... lol

4. applgeek macrumors member

1- could be the cable

2- could be the router, get another one--you can always take it back.

Try plugging a keyboard into the ps3 and use the browser on that-- does it drop out?

5. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

I plugged the LAN cable into a vacant port on the router. Let's see if that does anything.

It's almost like when I have too much going (ie. lots of apps open and running a number of tasks) on on my computer that it freaks out and decides to disconnect from the net in order to save memory or something... has my MacBook developed AI after being left on and forced to work for almost 2 years straight?

Going to do some video editing in iMovie now... I bet it will disconnect.

6. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

I don't think it's the router.

I switched ports and it was working up until I began encoding a video with iDVD.

So, it seems to be booting me from the net anytime that I encode (which takes a lot of memory). This seems real odd to me.

Any suggestions...other than stop encoding stuff...lol?

I want to try everything possible before getting a new router...as I really don't think that is the problem.

Also, the PS3 browser never dropped out or anything. My wife's PC is fine too.

7. okatidubi macrumors regular

Try creating a new location.

Go to System preferences > network. Under location, click the drop down list and click edit locations. Click the + and type in a name eg. My Mac's Internet

Once you've done that, set your location to the newly created one and configure it under AirPort. Once it's done, use that location to connect to your internet.

This worked for me. Hope it helps

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Have you tried connecting via Airport , maybe the LAN socket on the Macbooks packed in , if it connects via Airport ok ......

9. rioja macrumors regular

I had exactly the same problem and it was my router. It would disconnect constantly when using Airport or ethernet cable, yet my work laptop (Win XP) was fine.

I was using a D-Link router. After trying a million things to fix it and surfing every forum for suggestions, I went to the IT dept at work and asked if they had any spare routers I could try. They gave me a Linksys and a Belkin.

I tried the Linksys first... right off the bat I got constant disconnections. Then I tried the Belkin. Worked liked a charm :) I've been using it for 6 months and have had a few disconnections, but they were all due to my internet connection going down.

I don't know why, but in my case the Macbook just would not work with certain routers. Yet the PC worked with all of them.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Update router firmware.

Do you know OSX is up to 10.5.4 now?

Your sig says 10.5.0.

11. frockcoat macrumors newbie

Macbook wifi connect problem

Thanks for all the postings re getting the Macbooks to see and connect to wireless routers. I've tried everything suggested and they either do not work or work inconsistently for me. I'm still experimenting with a solution. The laptop worked fine for a long time with my present setup which includes a Netgear router. I am also running two older laptops on this setup - a Powerbook 'Pismo' and an iBook. Both have the older airport cards in them and these two computers work with the router. I've tried changing the channel on the router to 1,6, or 11 as a tech posting elsewhere stated that these are 'non overlapping channels' and have the least interference from other, nearby wifi routers. I have noticed this - when other routers are detected I have problems, both with the older mac laptops and the Macbook. I also think the problem with the macbook might have to do with other computers being on the wifi 'network' at the same time. If no other computers are on my wifi the Macbook charges right in and gets a good connect. If I fire up another laptop and connect to the wifi it either gets dropped or slowly starts losing its connection to the wifi router. I'm wondering if the Macbook airport card or software has a problem muscling into a wifi network and is susceptible to 'interference' from other signals. By the way the Macbook is 10.5.4 and the other laptops are 10.4.11 I'm going to see if by keeping all other laptops off my wifi router I can keep the Macbook connected.

12. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

OK...

I switched to a different LAN Cable and it seemed to remedy the disconnecting...up until today that is. It just keeps disconnecting over and over again. I went out and bought another shorter/newer LAN cable in hopes that that would solve the problem again. But after having left my Mac on while I went to work I returned to discover that it had once again disconnected.

I have no clue why it chose today to just crap out. My wife has gotten a new computer since I originally posted this. She now has a VAIO and it has no issues staying connected.

If this persists I guess I'll look into a new router...but I'm only going to be in Japan for another 2 months or so and didn't want to make any more purchases like that...was hoping my current router would carry me over until I left...

By the way, is there some special way to reset a router or does just unplugging it and plugging it back in do that?

EDIT: My Sig needs to be updated....I do have 10.5.4 installed, actually after that is when the connectivity problem started to become more persistent.