Internet keeps going out

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Nov 29, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

Every couple hours or so, our wireless Internet will go out. We have about 4 computers connected, and the only way (for my Macbook at least) to get back online is to turn Airport off in the menubar and back on. As soon as I turn it off and back on, the computer is online immediately.

We have 4 Macs running on a Linksys WRT54G router/network. I'm assuming it's the router, but want to make sure before buying a new one.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Does this drop happen on all computers at once, or only yours?

Have you tried it with a windows or linux based system connected to see if the same happens to them?

Have you checked to see if you lose connection when connected via ethernet?

It's hard to say when you have 4 systems all connected that run the same OS.

Also, in your description, you say you have to reset airport and you are reconnected...so since you aren't rebooting the router, it would seem that it is still transmitting, but your airport has faulted for some reason.

Are you using any torrent or p2p software? Often using torrent or p2p software without DL / UL limits can reek havoc on a connection.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

All computers experience the drop. The answer is to turn airport on and off. Haven't tried on a PC because we don't use any. Don't know about losing connection via ethernet. All the machines are wireless and the router is not close to where we use the computers.

And no torrent/p2p/etc. Just browsing, happens on all of the Macbooks we own every couple hours.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So take your Macbook down to where you have the router and plug it in. If it still drops the connection your router is probably the problem. Then plug it in to the modem. If it still drops, call your ISP.

5. miguueeel macrumors member

I just posted a thread about this!!! Whats going on?? :/

6. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can try this - but it only happens every few hours so it's really going to be a pain to test.

Would be nice if there was an easier way to troubleshoot the router, because I really think that's what the problem is. Reason being, if I turn airport off and back on when the connection drops, the Internet is always right there and working when I turn airport back on. It would seem, to me at least, if the modem was the problem, the Internet itself wouldn't be there when I turned airport back on. Thoughts?

7. mrbash macrumors 6502

I have experienced similar problems like this when living in an apartment building. I had the exact same router.

I purchased an Airport Extreme router and that solved my problem.

You could try changing the channel or switch to 802.11a only. I find 802.11b to be very easily disrupt-able.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But you said you don't actually turn the airport router on and off, you just turn your computer's airport card on and off. It's a bit more suspicious that all your machines do it, however.

In any case, I still don't think it'd be that hard to test. The next time it drops out on you, go plug it in to see if you can connect then.

9. MDiak47 macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem...it's the router. How old is your router and what model is it? After 5 or 6 years routers seem to flicker out.

10. patchouli, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

patchouli macrumors member

That's interesting..

I am a new Mac user... I have both my old PC and my new Mac sitting here together because I'm not familiar enough with the Mac yet to be able to get rid of my PC, altho I can't WAIT!

My internet flickers off sometimes (I had always assumed it was the ISP (Cable) as opposed to the router??)..

Whereas with my PC, it will just automatically start working again once it has its little off-time for a few seconds, (son's xbox360 is also connected, and he will experience gaps in connectivity, which also just automatically start working again once whatever is causing the blockage (ISP? or router?) - the Mac tends to just sit there and say, 'hey I'm not connected'.. and if I just refresh the screen, nothing will happen.. I actually have to press the troubleshooting thing, and let it go through its testing to see that everything is working fine with the wireless and then it's working.. seems like a lot of extra steps, compared to the PC..
    BUT.. I also have that same router..
    AND I'm connected wirelessly..

I can connect with the wire to see if it still happens.. except that since it is intermittent (doesn't happen very often, maybe twice a day?).. I won't really know if it is successful due to the wired vs wireless, or due to the internet not going out at all that day??

My router is a Linksys WRT54G and I can't remember how many years I've had it.

11. MDiak47 macrumors newbie

Hmmmmm...A basic control test just as you stated above will draw you to a conclusion. Unless you are day-trading, gambling or playing online games where uninterrupted internet connection is crucial it might not be a urgent issue to get to the bottom of. From my experience around my house and installing routers for family members...It is usually just a router flickering away. As I said routers tend to have a half like of 3 years, even if it isn't the router you should probably replace it after 3 or more years.