Internet killed by Azureus or what?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvryDayImShufln, Apr 26, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey guys

I've been having this problem for awhile now, never thought anything of it, but now its starting to bug me. Whenever I'm running azureus, basically no matter what speed I'm downloading at, safari (or firefox or anything) cannot connect to any internet sites. If I keep clicking refresh enough times, it'll eventually connect, but disconnect quickly after. It's strange because msn messenger keeps working and azureus keeps on downloading.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Can anyone suggest what may be the problem? Thanks!

Btw I'm connected by wire or wireless to my linksys 54G router, that typical one there that everybody has lol

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What speed are you uploading it? What's your upstream bandwidth?

3. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'm uploading low, usually under 30, and downloading at about 100-200. I dont consider these numbers particularly high

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I had the exact same problem, and eventually I changed my router from a Netgear to a Linksys and it started working normally. I still have no idea what caused it, but it was the same problem with any torrent program, once it was running I couldnt do anything else.

Probably a router setting somewhere I never found. Try updating its firmware or something (but dont brick it!)

5. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I had to stop my roommate from using Kazaa for this very reason. I could connect to AIM/yahoo with Adium, but Safari and gmail notifier had no connectivity.

For what it's worth, we have comcast cable and a linksys g router.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Many stock consumer routers choke when they have too many connections. You might try third-party firmware and setting the connection limit up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You are on the right track.

Basically, when you leave azureus set to run full out, it kills your connection by flooding it.

Find a bandwidth meter site on line, and do a bandwidth check...

try www.dslreports.com/speedtest

don't worry it works for cable or whatever connection you have.

Once run a few times. Take an average of both the up and down results. Make sure to pay attention to how it gives you rhe results. If in KB per second (kilobytes) just use that number, but if Kb/s (kilobits) you have to divide by 8 to get KB/s.

Once you have your Up and Down speeds in KB/s, then set them in Azureus under Options (Preferences) >> Transfer to be about 80% of the max on both.

This will make it so you can still use your internet, chat, notifiers etc, plus it helps Azureus download faster without choking up.

Best,

Brian

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Linksys routers suck at bittorrent.

But so you know DD-WRT firmware got mine (same model as yours) to finally work like it's suppose to.