Internet Lag - Probably DNS related

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jessep28, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I've been noticing increased lag on both Firefox and Safari and believe it's DNS related. I say this since I can go to DSLReports and get 8mbps download rate but the browser will just sit there when connecting to sites nowadays.

I run on a Cable connection (cox.net) and my router is a D-Link DI-624. I just reloaded the firmware last night and that caused the speed increase but the lag is still there.

Suggestions would be appreciated before I resort to violence :). Just kidding, it's not that bad - just annoying.

2. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

I set my DNS configuration to the OPENDNS servers and it seems to be working much faster.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

opendns.com

I switched to them several months back and havent regretted it once. My ISP's DNS servers were so slow and unreliable.

edit: beat me to it! OpenDNS > * :D

4. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

There are several threads on Apple Support right now complaining about slow web -- everyone has Cox.

I use Cox. Safari has slowed to a crawl. I changed the DNS servers and the problem went away.

5. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

Their network status page earlier in the week had an issue related to their DNS servers and certain websites. However, that eventually went away but my problem persisted. Oh well, I'm glad it's fixed now.