internet/macbook problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scarlet Fever, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'm on a 256k ADSL connection (yes i know its terribly slow - i'm getting ADSL2+ soon), and things are happening slower than usual.

The Apple homepage took 4 minutes to fully load. Downloads are coming down at about 5% of their normal speed (1.2 KB/s instead of 25) Even dial-up users would say thats slow. The other computers on the network (one wired and one wireless) are downloading at their normal speeds, so it has to be something on my side of the net. I've tried restarting my macbook and the router, emptying cache, using FF, all to no avail.

The MacBook in question is a 1GHz Core Duo MacBook.

Yes, it is 1GHz; apparently, my battery isn't available, even though it is plugged in. it isn't bulging at all, no problems for the last couple of days, it just died this morning for no apparent reason. I've left the computer off to charge for a few hours, but it did nothing.

Is my slow internet caused by my invisible battery, or is there something more messed up than I think?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait... I so don't understand.

1) You have a 1GHz Macbook? Whahuh?

2) Your battery isn't available -- did you run the latest battery update that came out this week in Software Update? It is specifically intended for this issue.

3) As for the internet thing... some standard things to try: log in as your admin account or create a new user. Does the other / new user have the same problem? If so, it's something weird in the settings of your account. If not, it's a more systemic problem (IPv6 is one culprit, DHCP issues another, bad hardware, etc).

3. brandon6684 Guest

If your battery messing up is causing the processor to show 1GHz, it is possible that this is related to an overall performance issue.

4. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

oops i forgot to put in the important stuff :eek:

when the battery is out or unavailable, the CPU slows down to 1GHz. I did the battery thing, but it is still unavailable.

i made the test account, and its still going slow. What should i do from here?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...

Are the other computers on the network Windows computers or Macs?

If they're Windows computers, and the Macbook has *always* been slow when running off this network, then I would try turning off IPv6 via Sys Prefs -> Network -> Airport -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6.

Otherwise, this thing needs to see Apple soon... you should get the battery issue fixed, certainly, ASAP while it's guaranteed.

6. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

strange... it seems to be running fine while hardwired, but not wireless... do you think this is a software or hardware issue?

two Macs; one hardwired and one wireless. neither of them have slow network problems.

I've taken it in, and the battery should be here by Wednesday.

Thanks for the help :)