Internet Modem/Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KidZgOtMac, Sep 3, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I'm looking for a router/modem since I'm in need of a new router and my ISP charges extra for the internet modem they provide. All the products I've seen require a DSL phone line connection but I don't have one. My internet modem has an ethernet cable and one of those round white cables that go behind a television. What do I need to buy?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My general philosophy is not to combine devices like this. Stores like Best Buy carry cable modems. Call-up your cable office or pay them a visit and give them your modem's serial number and MAC address. Then, you will save the monthly rental fee. Your router should be a separate purchase. As for which router, all but one of my routers have been Cisco Linksys. My current router is a Cisco Linksys E3000. I have avoided Apple Airport routers because they have only three LAN ports. However, I have learned that Airport routers are much more durable than the competition. My next router will be an Apple Airport Extreme or whatever replaces the Apple Airport Extreme. I will back my ears and get a hub or switch to compensate for its lack of LAN ports.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need a cable modem. Amazon or eBay (or craigslist) have them in abundance, although every ISP I've dealt with in the US will sell you one outright instead of charging you the rental fee. For routers it depends on what you need (wireless? # of wired ports? Budget?).

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

A cable modem which however will be provided for free from your isp and the type is usually dependant on your internet speed. For the router you will have to check amazon or if you have the budget by an Airport Extreme

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

It's highly unlikely that the modem will truly be provided for free from your ISP--most charge a monthly rental rate if they don't sell it to you. Assuming you're using cable, you just need a cable modem that supports the protocol your ISP is using, which is undoubtedly DOCSIS. The question is which version--some higher density areas that get higher speeds first might have 3.0, but 2.0 is what most use and will still be backwards-compatible.

Most modems will be DOCSIS 2.0 compatible, and you'll probably be good wit one. You'll just need to give your ISP the MAC address or whatever other information they request.

Or you can use the one they rent, and they'll do everything for you. In the long run, this is probably more expensive.

(DSL, of course, uses a different kind of modem, but you sound like you have cable.)

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Sorry but at least here in Denmark you only pay once. And than its free.

I thought its the same custom in the US

7. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Yes I have cable and my ISP charges a monthly rental rate for the modem. I guess I'll go buy another modem and a good router. I already a router but it's not that great. In the end I'll probably even connect both routers.

8. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

My apologies--I just assumed the original poster was in the US (as I am). The typical practice here is the one I described--they'll usually "give" it to you for a monthly rental fee (I think my cable modem was $5/month--I never thought to buy one but probably could have made up the money I'd have spent; I bought my DSL modem because Qwest, now CenturyLink, made it very clear that this was an option, unlike cable company Mediacom).

I'm actually surprised that this isn't the norm everywhere. Guess they're actually fair(er) to their customers. :)