Internet morning sickness!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by colinet, Mar 24, 2011.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

Almost every morning when I sit up in bed to check my email on my MacBook Pro, I get a message saying I'm not connected to the internet. It happens rarely at other times too. I then go downstairs, unplug the power to my Belkin N1 Vision wireless modem router and plug it back in again. It then starts up again and everything is fine. It has only done this for the past few months.
    My question is this - Is it something in OS X (hasn't changed in the past 10.6 versions including the latest)? Is it a possible fault in the router (Probably not as it works fine once it's restarted) Or is it my ISP Telstra who are luddite idiots with one of the slowest web sites on the net?
    My second question is, is there anything else I can do rather than physically unplugging and re-connecting the N1? I've tried switching Airport on and off (VERY rarely this works) the problem is also there with our other computers - hardly surprising as they all use the N1.
    Any ideas?

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i had a netgear that did this. i replaced the router and the problem went away. i think it's just that your router has run its course. of course, it could be an issue with your ISP but far more likely is your router. Do any other computer have the same issue? Try and isolate the issue by testing w/ other computers. perhaps even an identical macbook. if other computers don't reproduce the issue, esp. Macbooks, then the issue is with the airport card in your macbook. if it appears that the problem is reproducible with many computers, then more than likely, your router is dying.