internet (mozilla/safari) constantly freezing!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heyalex, Jul 1, 2009.

1. heyalex macrumors newbie

hey everyone!

as of two nights ago, my internet started acting up on my macbook. the computer is about a year old and it's my first mac. anyway, i figured it was because of the massive amounts of tabs i keep open. so i closed the window and started fresh. this did not help! i started to realize that the internet would freeze when i went on twitpic or my own facebook page and some other sites like stikegently.com (a music site). weird, right? this made me force quit and have to start over. this problem does not seem to be caused by my internet connection and is not affecting my family windows computer. i also updated to the latest versions of mozilla and safari but that did not help.

i've also tried clearing the cookies and have found some strange sites listed there (2o7.net, doubleclick.net, tumri.net, tribalfusion.com) but it didn't help. the problem is getting progressively worse, i get the spinning ball symbol every few seconds now. is it possible i have a virus? do macs even get viruses? if so, what do i do!

i apologize in advance for not searching the forums....trying to open a topic froze my internet! and it doesn't help that my nearby apple store closed YESTERDAY for a month!! the nearest is now over an hour away. and my mac genius neighbor is away on vacation!

i really hope you can help! any info is appreciated!

thanks,
    alex

ps. i obviously get spam in my thread, awesome.

2. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Well Macs don't get viruses, so you won't have to worry about that part.

A few questions:
    *is your Mac connected to WiFi along with the Windows machine? Or are they both on ethernet, one on WiFi on on ethernet, etc.?

*Is this only on a few sites or is this on every site you visit?

*Do you see any other problems like this on your Mac or is this only on the web browsers?

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

4. heyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for replying! my mac is connected to the same wifi as the windows computer. besides the freezing, the internet seems to be working at a normal speed, and ichat is working normally. the freezing is on every site i visit. about every 20 seconds i'll get the spinning ball which will temporarily freeze whatever i'm doing. it's only certain websites that will actually cause me to have to force quit because it remains frozen (ex. certain parts of facebook, twitpic). this seems to be the only problem i am encountering on my mac right now. thanks!

5. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Hmm, if it's only certain parts that are the worst, it migh be a Flash problem like explained above. Try downloading the latest Flash, see if anything changes, and if not tell us. Hopefully it will work, though :)

6. heyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

mathcolo, thanks for the link! i downloaded and immediately noticed a difference. the browser is not freezing every 20 seconds, which is awesome. it is still freezing on twitpic and facebook though :/

i'm trying to see if i can find other websites that have the same effect, maybe there will be something in common.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Although rare, I wouldn't rule out possibility of virus (trojans, worms, scientifically, they are not defined as viruses, but apple usually group them together).

There are also possibility of hardware problem, you might want to try Onyx to clean up the system, and check disk, etc.

And if its a problem of flash, sorry thats what adobe has for mac users, no good solution for it other than wait for adobe to improve the quality.

8. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Right, that would be a good thing to see. Try a whole different variety of websites including Flash, Java, heavy JavaScript and heavy HTML to more easily identify the problem.

Clevin doesn't portray a good point though, a virus or hardware error could be causing the crashes.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Those cookies are where you get a lot of spam from. They also track what you do on the net. In Firefox download NoScript and AdBlock Plus. Don't know about Safari. NoScript will let you accept or block those cookies. It will also let you accept them temporarily. As far as those sites go locking up the internet, do you get the internet back when leaving them?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Thanks for the good laugh. Got any facts to back that up?

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

How to check for Trojans
    http://www.macworld.com/article/60823/2007/10/trojanhorse.html

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

12. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Durr.

Though there haven't been any publicly-known worms yet.

13. heyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

okay guys! i've returned with some more information! i downloaded the ad block plus, which has not made a difference but seems like a good thing to have. i'm also in the process of working with onyx. i'll give anything a try haha!

i've visited more websites and have come to the conclusion that it MAY have something to do with a video feature? i went to several high impact websites like Newsday.com, Nick.com, and the video features of websites like FallOutBoyRock.com (most random websites haha) and the internet froze. i don't seem to be having a problem with youtube though. i know i have the most recent version of Java. still looking for other websites that are causing problems and i'll keep you guys updated. thanks again!

14. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Two things:

A. Open up Software Update, and install everything that's available.

B. If Safari or Firefox gives you a crash report, paste it at http://macrumors.pastebin.com and then paste the link here.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you backed up the drive recently?

When was the last time you repaired the drive?

Likely if you stick in the restore DVD and run disk first aid, you'll find some orphaned nodes. the repair must be run from fsck or the dvd, since it won't repair a currently used volume.

And if you think of repairing permissions, it must be run from the HD (aka, current volume) to make sure it picks up the data from the updates.

16. heyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

everything is up to date :/
    and i don't have a crash report because i end up force quitting. it just freezes and nothing happens. buttt i have a problem report from firefox that i pasted, and maybe that will help? : http://macrumors.pastebin.com/m144f9589 i feel bad because that's so long! haha

17. heyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

ermm, i only understood about half of what you said there! sorry! but i have not backed up recently and i don't think i've ever repaired the drive? i'll go find my restore DVD and see what i can do from there. thanks!

if i can't get this figured out by tomorrow, i think i'm going have to make the drive out to the apple store!

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If your computer crashes, and/or you tend to force quit applications or the computer a lot ... you can end up with orphaned nodes.

Enough of these and the computer will hang every now and then on drive access, or simply flash a question mark next time you restart.

You can only repair the drive with the DVD... or using fsck.

---

Repair permissions stares you in the face when you have the DVD in, don't run it from the DVD, run it from your HD when you have booted from there.

19. heyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

ah okay, i understand now! thanks for explaining!

20. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Actually, it's fine to repair permissions from the DVD now, that issue was resolved with Leopard.