Internet Not Recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pogsklinc, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pogsklinc macrumors newbie

Hey! I just got my first Mac today. It's the 2.4 Ghz aluminum MacBook. I was really excited about starting things up, and then came setting up the internet. It recognized my family's DSL wireless network, but would not let me into it without a password. We never gave our router a password/encryption. Does anybody have any idea about what I should do? I'd really like to access the internet as soon as possible. Thanks for the help.

2. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. So now it's not requesting a password. Instead it's just saying "Connection Timeout" every time I attempt to connect. The funny thing is, my iPod touch can access it wirelessly perfectly, as can my brother's HP and our family Dell. Does anybody have any idea what's going on? I'm really confused.

3. zKarp macrumors member

same thing

SOme times it works like now, but other times it connects for 5min then dies. The i try to connect, shows on list, but timesout.. >_<

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When you connect, did you select in the drop down, that there's no protection on the network?

On an aside, you really should turn on, at least WPA-TKIP level encryption, ideally WPA-PSK...maybe I'm just paranoid though, but I'd never leave my home WiFi network unprotected to outside access.

5. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I selected None in the Security Drop down window in the networks panel.

I'm just confused as to why this is so screwed up. I select the router, and then the computer doesn't acknowledge that it's there. :( I would still greatly appreciate answers and than both people who already replied. I just want Internet. How can I get that?

6. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Please. Anybody. Do any of you have any advice on how to make things work?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When you entered the network, did you select it from the dropdown list or by manually entering it into "other network?" Try the opposite way you already have.

8. chucktown macrumors newbie

my alum. macbook has also been having wireless issues...can't seem to figure out what the deal is either

9. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

I saved myself some time and trouble. I called Apple. After hours of tests and tial and error, we figured out that my router was the problem. I plan to purchase a cheap one from town next time I'm there. Thank to everybody who tried to help. :)

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Please password protect it. :cool:

11. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh. I will. :)