Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbtm77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Hey everyone,

2 days back, a friend of mine gave me a sms app called biteSMS and asked me to install it since I was complaining of the stock sms app on my iPhone 3G S 32GB.

So anyways, in order to install, I ssh'd over to my phone placed the file in /var/root and ran the command dpkg -i /var/root/biteSMS.v3.0.deb. Respringed and the icon of biteSMS is there! Clicked on it to run and but it crashes as soon as it open. No probs, wanted to check my email on my phone and do a couple of other things but the net is down.

So I think my mobile carrier is having some issues. The next day, I try again but still get the "Connection Failed" no internet connection (-1009)" message. So I call up my carrier to check if they are having any technical difficulties and they said no. Then I rechecked the setting on my phone but still nothing.

Then again last night, I swaped the sims with my wife, who is on the same carrier. My sim worked in her phone and her sim did not work on my phone so I made sure that my sim card is ok and that it is really the phone that is having a problem.

So then I realized that it may be that I installed biteSMS and it messed up something so I tried removing it by running dpkg -r biteSMS but that didn't help either. I then downloaded biteSMS from Cydia (over a wifi connection) installed and ran it. It works fine and was hoping that it would fix the internet problem.

But after 2 days, I still don't have internet on my iPhone. Can anyone help on how to resolve this?

Many thanks.

PS: I realize it's a long post but appreciate you reading through it.

I could do a master reset but don't want to go installing everything from scratch... and btw, I have jailbroken the phone

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
It looks like your safest bet would be to restore. I know its a long process of reinstalling, but sometimes by installing only what you need on your phone youll see how much better off you could be.

Obviously, if youre unlocked, stay on 3.0.1.

sbtm77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
It looks like your safest bet would be to restore. I know its a long process of reinstalling, but sometimes by installing only what you need on your phone youll see how much better off you could be.

Obviously, if youre unlocked, stay on 3.0.1.

I think I will seek for a fix rather than do a restore... really hate it as I had an iPod Touch 3 months back got used to it and liked and then got me the 3GS like last week and then customized it again like I had the Touch. So it kinda bores me to go through that process again.

Oh well, lets wait and see...

Thanks though for your reply :D

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
so, how exactly are you installing bitesms vs dpkg if bitesms has to be authenticated/paid for? nice try trying to pirate apps. thread should be closed due to your idiocy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.