Internet on an se/30?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by robotmonkey, Jun 19, 2010.

1. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I've seen it done before, I wouldn't use it really i'd just get it for the novelty of the internet from a computer made in 1989

2. F. Hopper macrumors member

F. Hopper

it has a modem port on it, simplest way might be to wire up an adapter for an old db25 external modem and get a ppp dialer like FreePPP.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

There were many internal Ethernet cards for the SE/30, they can often be found on eBay for less than $20. I used one as my "morning email" computer in my dining room from about 1998-2002, even though it was already horribly obsolete by that point.

The very earliest versions of Netscape Navigator will run on it, although not well. There are no "modern" browsers that will run on it, so browsing most modern websites would be an exercise in frustration. But it would work well for email. There is even a standalone Twitter client that runs on it.

Depending on your definition of "on the internet", even an Apple II can be made to browse the net, or even be a web server.

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

5. MDARFUS macrumors newbie

Yes, the Asanté EtherTalk Nubus card works well. I have that card or something similar in my old SE/30 along with system 7.5 and it works to get on the web... slowly. It's the same card that could be used in a Mac IIsi, so that is another thing you could search for, if you're looking for that card particular card.

6. MacTech68, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

There are a few Nubus Ethernet cards that will work. Most look something like the one pictured here.

There is even SCSI to Ethernet adapters. Like the two pictured at the bottom of this page by Dayna and Faralon.

LocalTalk to Ethernet is great for printers, but trust me, for transferring files (ie AppleShare) it's painfully slow. Best to get the internal NUBUS or the SCSI to Ethernet type.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Also, it should be noted that youll probably want 7.5.5 on your SE/30, which can I believe just about browse the internet as far as very simple sites - things like LowEndMac will display OK, but anything above basic HTML will cause havoc - even pictures may cause some hiccups. As stated above, use it for text based things only (email, text-based browsing, twitter etc).

8. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

I have a Performa 475 that has 132mb ram, 1mb vram, a ethernet card, a full 040 40mhz CPU (running at 25mhz), running OS 7.6.1, 2gb HDD.

Its a more powerful system but still painful to browse the web with (gets worse when there is pictures displayed). i can only imagine how it would be on a SE/30.

allot of pages will not display properly or work properly.

the best thing to do is disable displaying of pictures unless you really need to see the picture.

Having a FPU did help with the picture loading but not by a huge margin.

text browsing is the way to surf on a old system. The more ram you have the better. even if you have broadband you will find out that it is not fast with loading a page, downloading is slow as well but mainly due to the systems speed.

but you cant beat the feeling of having a old system hooked up to the net.

9. MacTech68, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

A little off topic but if you have a PPC Mac running 8.6-9.x.x, give Classilla a try.

This guy has taken up the challenge to code recent builds of WamCom/mozilla into a reasonably up to date browser for the old MacOS. :eek:

Still needs work in css (apparently).

10. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I have successfully gotten the internet to work on an SE/30...

Orig. Logic Board with 20mb Memory
    Mac OS 7.51

It was able to load the google.com homepage!
    It was, however, slow!

Your best but is a Nubus Card.... SCSI to Ethernet devices are difficult to come by these days.

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Try this with Netscape 2.0 for 68k or iCab, it should work like a charm. Good luck with the modern sites that use flash and java, they won't work. But for very basic stuff, you should be OK. Also, the SE/30 works great for e-mail!

12. zombilly macrumors newbie

I ran mine with a robotics 56k. It was fine because pages were so simple. I had it maxed out at 32mg which apple would not support :p