Internet on Mac not working properly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iphone3DG3, Sep 24, 2009.

1. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

I just moved into a new apartment, set up new internet and router, but I have trouble accessing a lot of websites, like yahoo.com and facebook.com. All my friends are using PCs, and I'm the only one on Mac. None of their computers have trouble going to the same sites, but I'm stuck watching a blank screen.

I researched around, but I cannot find a solution to this. I've tried pinging websites, running the command line to flush the DNS cache, but nothing has worked. Is there some sort of system preference I have to set on my Mac, such as lowering security features, to access the sites I use the most? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a lot! :)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What are the results when you try to ping the website?

3. iphone3DG3 thread starter macrumors member

Here are the results when I pinged Yahoo! I'm not sure if this is enough info.

--- yahoo.com ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 15.078/59.944/272.868/90.047 ms

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

So it is connecting to the website. Have you tried multiple web browsers, and do they yield the same result?

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

long shot but make sure you have the correct date set and time is close. You may not be able to sync with the website certificates

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tried an open DNS server?

However if you end up with a 169.x.x.x IP address, you are having problems with DHCP and not even close to getting on the internet yet.

7. iphone3DG3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, they all cannot open those websites. I have 4 browers; Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Chrome (the BETA one for developers?), and unfortunately, do not work. Most importantly, I can't even register for classes!

I'm starting to think that perhaps a router configuration is conflicting with some Mac security feature. Would that be a possibility? All my housemates' PCs work perfectly fine with the websites I cannot access.

8. iphone3DG3 thread starter macrumors member

How do I confirm that the dates and times are close?

No, I haven't tried an open DNS server. I'll give that a shot. Well, my IP address is definitely not a 169 one. Internet is fine, excluding the fact that some important websites are not working.