Internet on Macbook is Dreadfully Slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sheepopo39, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I recently bought my mother a macbook and while setting it p for her I've noticed that the wireless internet is dreadfully slow even though I am getting a full signal. I noticed that it seems to be faster on her older Thinkpad of hers and I am wondering what is causing this to happen

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Without knowing how you setup your Mom's computer, there is no way of knowing.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Is the internet on the computer slow through the ethernet cable?

4. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

MisterMe: After reformatting since it was a store display it asked me which wireless network to join I clicked mine and its been slow since.

Toolbox: Sadly I don't have any Ethernet cables lying around.

EDIT: I found an ethernet cable, but the computer is doing a lot of updates right now. I believe from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6. So I will have to check it later

5. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

What kind of network do you have?

802.11 b/g? 802.11n?

Check out the documentation of your router / wireless station (or even the box)

Where is the source of the network located? (if there are a lot of walls in between, this might decrease signal strenght etc etc ...)

Short answer: give us more information.

6. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

The router is 802.11 G. The router is in my basement and were using the macbook on the main floor though I am getting full signal from the router. Though I notice that the internet on my macbook isn't as slow but still kinda slow. Oh and I forgot to mention that is around a 5 year old router, give or take a year