Internet on Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Liam89, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Liam89 macrumors newbie

Just wondering what the best way to get the internet on the mac is? I was going to connect my mac the same way i've got my PC connected, by running a USB from the modem to the mac, but is there any easier ways, and maybe some ways to connect without having a wire wrapping around the place?

Sorry if there's already a topic about this but I couldn't find anything.

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

The USB port probably won't work (at least mine doesn't). The best way to do it is by buying a wireless router (fairly inexpensive) and then using the wireless card in your Mac. :)

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a Cable modem from What was Telewest but is now Virgin Media. Basically its a dedicated coax cable that goes into the modem provided by the ISP. From the modem runs an ethernet cable which I have plugged into my Airport Extreme base. The Airport base beams wireless web goodness around the house and all my macs can use the same connection with only one short wire from the modem to the base station.

I hate the USB modems, they add uneccessary crap to the equation and quite often need drivers even on OSX.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Or you could use ethernet, obviously. In the past when I have been faced with a USB connection, it has gone through a converter from ethernet, so if that is the case, just plug the ethernet straight into the mac.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sorry for the off topic but…

How has your Virgin/Telewest been with the roll-out to 20mb?

6. Liam89 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I could just buy an Airport Extreme base and then run an ethernet cable from my modem to that? I've already got a coax cable connected to my modem and everything. Once I've got the internet on my Mac am I able to plug annother ethernet into my Mac and then into my Xbox 360 so I'm able to have the internet on both. Obviously I would have to mess with the settings a bit by allowing other network users to connect through the macs internet connection.

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

It's not the mac that hosts the internet connection. The cable modem itself is the internet source. By adding a router to the modem, you're effectively splitting the internet coming in through the modem to multiple devices. You can have your 360 connected to the Airport Extreme base wirelessly as well if you bought the wireless adapter for 360. Also you can have any other wireless devices connect to the router, and Any additional wired devices you want to have internet, just plug them into the router until you run out of ports :)