Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Old news? Sort of. I don't think its been posted here before, but I've heard of this a while ago. I even spoke about it in a research paper I wrote a year ago.

For a very long time now, researchers have known powerlines could be used to carry information. They started researching this way before broadband existed. They ran into some snags and such along they way. Other technologies emerged and powerline internet never really got off the ground. In 2003, a company in Cincinnati was very close in launching a powerline ISP. I don't know if they ever succeeded or not.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
there are a few powerline providers
range is 150feet from power trans-something or another of wireless internet
here in canada BC Hydro is thinking of setting up a similar service...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
NStar Energy Company ran a line behind my house several years ago. It included fiber-optics. The installation company was mentioning a similar of using it for electric, phone, and internet. It was when they had an alliance with another company that fell through. So the the line was never used.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
It would be awesome if in the future we could get internet, electricity and phone all through the same lines. That would make moving around stuff in the room so much more flexible and easy.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I will be watching this very closely. I really want high speed internet, and since I doubt any of the providers would put in lines out here, this would be an awesome alternative.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
If I recall correctly, my local power company is going to be trialling this soon, but alot of people are talking about radio interference, if the interference turns out to be negligeable I cant wait, as the DSL service down here is not particularly priced well :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
art bell did a big show about this 1-2 years ago. scary stuff. apparently the interference from the unshielded power cable carrying all that radiation could kill off the lower tv channels, some am stations, and all of ham radio :eek:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
BPL has some serious interference issues, and amateur radio operators are really fighting it. It sounds good on the surface, but has the potential to cause serious problems for licensed users of the radio spectrum. More information can be found here.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Raven VII said:
It would be awesome if in the future we could get internet, electricity and phone all through the same lines. That would make moving around stuff in the room so much more flexible and easy.

100 W radiating through your body because you didn't read the manual to setup your WLAN correctly and somehow you can surf with your microwave :eek: ... ;)

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
AmigoMac said:
100 W radiating through your body because you didn't read the manual to setup your WLAN correctly and somehow you can surf with your microwave :eek: ... ;)

As long as I'm not surfing with my microwave via a wireless electrical connection ...

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I think its a great idea, at least in theory. I'm sure there are plenty of bugs in it right now, but, if they work them all out this could end up being an amazing thing. No one thought it would work sending internet through cable lines, heck, a lot of people were skeptical of DSL through the phone lines saying that it was too much for the older lines and would "burn them up." Let's face it, people are afraid of new tech. They'll get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.