Internet Password and Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Codeseven, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I dont want my MBP to keep asking for my password to connect to the internet and second, I dont want ti to then drop that connection after a short while, unlike my BootCamp XP which always stays connected. How do I fix these issues? Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Jmann. I dont know what that is?

4. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

go to disk utility (use spotlight)and select your HD and then click repair permissions, then wait a while and it will be finished. Don't turn off the Mac while you're doing it and it might be best to go away and leave it

if you need extra help let me (us) know

D

Attached Files:

5. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help guys. I just want some clarification. Were doing a 'repair' so are you saying something is 'broke'?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The permissions might be off, and that can cause problems like not remembering the password for the internet.

7. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

repairing is more do with the internal structure of the computer, imagine the index of a book was out of order it would make finding something very difficult, in this case repairing is like reordering the index :)

Feel free for someone else to chime in and correct

8. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, went through that procedure but I keep getting asked for my password in order to connect with the internet. Why is it the Windows side never asks for a password, automatically connects and never drops it shortly afterward but my Apple side keeps asking and dropping? Very annoying!

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Did you tell it to remember the network? It will keep asking for the password if you don't tell it to remember the network. This saves the password in your keychain, so the computer can use it later when you are trying to connect.

11. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Touch, how do I do that? I mean there is the place which I always check at the logon that says 'remember password', is there somewhere else that I need to check? Is this an Apple thing and not a Windows problem?

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

One quick fix if the Keychain Access utility is not storing the wireless password: 1) turn off the AirPort card, 2) go to Network preferences, highlight the AirPort connection, click on Advanced, 3) in the AirPort tab, remove the network in question from your list of preferred networks, 4) open Keychain Access and delete the entry for the AirPort network password, 5) restart and then manually rejoin the network, tell it to remember the network.

As far as the connection dropping, there is no setting on in the Mac OS that would cause it to release the connection. If the computer goes to sleep and you wake it up, it could take 15-30 seconds to automatically reconnect to the wireless network but nothing else AFAIK.

13. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a