Internet Problem, Dont know if its SL or what..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Krafty, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

So I stay on campus in my college dorm, and the speeds were fantastic a few months back, I was already upgraded to SL when it was released. Around 2 weeks prior to winter break, or entire campus internet went out (including another campus 7 hours from us). While they were able to revive it in a day, it took our campus 4 days. After frequent cut offs, the internet was steady, but slow.

Well, a month worth break goes by and I come back and it still slow. So I ask tech support and show them the results of past and now speedtest results via speedtest history.

Today she came in, and look at the test and agreed with the slow results. So she jotted some things down and said she would speak to tech people. Upon leaving, she knocked and asked if we could try her laptop.

This is what I get now:
    [​IMG]

This is what it used to be:
    [​IMG]

However, this is what she got on her Macbook Pro:
    [​IMG]

And running another on my Mac Mini right after:
    [​IMG]

So I was once again left with a "*shrug* Dont have anything to help you with."

So what could be causing this to happen? The slowness only started when the network went down, but (im sure she had Leopard cause it was a school laptop and the school is still on leopard) she was able to achieve a lot better (though not up to par with what it USED to be) speeds than me on the same line.

I looked at various apple support threads on this and tried various discussions. I'm directly connected since my router has then since trouble connecting as well. It works fine at my moms, and I get 600kbps on my moms connection, almost 6x what I'm pulling here.

So its it an OS problem since she got better results than me or what? I'm seeing if I can find someone with a leopard laptop I can test this again with cause this makes no sense.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

google is your friend...

I googled for "snow leopard ethernet issues"...

Users having ethernet problems under SL are reporting they can either 1) delete old plists or 2) create a new "location" to get around the issue...

more here and here

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

But thanks anyways.

EDIT: Tried both and nothing. Those problems revolved more around ethernet not completely working. Mine works, just slower than the tech ladys ethernet on the same line.

4. filmweaver macrumors regular

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Are you on campus as well or going through the same trouble?

6. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty