Internet problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Akele, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Akele macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently found out that there seems to be a problem with my home wireless connection, and figured out that, every time someone picks up our home's landline phone, or calls using the landline phone, my wireless connection times out. It doesn't seem to be affecting anyone else's computer (both through ethernet and wifi), so it's quite weird and I have no idea what the issue is. Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

So it does affect your Mac?
    And if so, what exact Mac with what exact Mac OS X version do you use and what router with what wireless settings do you use?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is your landline phone a cordless phone?

AirPort and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference

4. Akele thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Very fast responses!

@simsaladimbamba - I'm using the latest high-end 13 inch Macbook Pro running on 10.7.3. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.

@GGJstudios - Yes, it is indeed a cordless phone... But it didn't seem to affect my old 2007 White Macbook model. However, I don't quite get the solutions provided by the support page.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the linked article says, there are many sources of interference. If you have another cordless phone or a corded phone (even one you could borrow for testing), try that and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's likely your cordless phone may need to be replaced, or perhaps switched to another channel.

You can also change the channel used on your wireless network. AirPort Radar Widget (Mac) will show what channels are being used by nearby networks, so you can choose one that doesn't conflict. You can select your channel by launching AirPort Utility (in your /Applications/Utilities folder), then going to Manual Setup > AirPort tab > Wireless > Channel.

6. Akele thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll try that out and see how it goes.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

From the information in your first post, it appears that the answer to your topic question is yes. Looks like you have a handle on it now.

8. lordj4000 macrumors member

I once had this problem. I have dsl and all phones need to have filter attached. It turned out, one of our phones was plugged in directly and not through a filter. Everytime it was picked up or hung up the dsl connection would time-out for about 20 seconds.